Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

variation and Claim

12 replies [Last post]
Azvi Hanifa
User offline. Last seen 18 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

Could any one explain some text book or web where I can find about above lamb sum and re-measure contracts, what quantity of variation could issue to the contractor without increase the original duration of the project?

I highly appreciate yours prompt reply

Best regard.

Replies

ashraf alawady
User offline. Last seen 9 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

too get the atual delays you have to insert the actual dates(starting ad copletion ) for each activities and to insert the percenatage completed

ashraf alawady

too get the atual delays you have to insert the actual dates(starting ad copletion ) for each activities and to insert the percenatage completed

Abdo Sherif
User offline. Last seen 12 years 40 weeks ago. Offline

Hi, mr. Azfi and mr. Ashraf

I recommend you advice for mr. Ashraf which it is most reasonable and logical.

Moreover , you should firstful identfy notice of variation by contractor if it is in his scope of work or not and in line with contact conditions and if he is entitled for the the same check its impaction on critical path of baseline program.

Thanks all

My best rgards

Abdo Sherif
User offline. Last seen 12 years 40 weeks ago. Offline

Hi, mr. Azfi and mr. Ashraf

I recommend you advice for mr. Ashraf which it is most reasonable and logical.

Moreover , you should firstful identfy notice of variation by contractor if it is in his scope of work or not and in line with contact conditions and if he is entitled for the the same check its impaction on critical path of baseline program.

Thanks all

My best rgards

Anthony Delmiguez
User offline. Last seen 6 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Dear azvi, They say that if you start well then you will landed very well..my advice is to study first the pertinent documents before proceeding to your planning... I recommend FIDIC for your reference... 1st of all you need to know the advantages & disadvantages having lump sum contract. For the client..it says that they almost have the advantages, aware of the amount and expected variations. Also, most of lump sum contract require performance bond...so their on safe side... Now, for contractor side...if contractor performed very well, they will get the lump sum amount with no penalty at all, plus variation orders...additive change orders...plus extension of time claim...an appropriate contingeny plan s very applicable back up with proper logs and reports.
Waheed Moustafa
User offline. Last seen 10 years 47 weeks ago. Offline

Dear All

First of all , i m new here and I do not Know how and where i can ask my question ?  .

Any way I want ask  question here.

We have project  conisits of 10 parts and all the project must be finished in 4 monthes , but it took 10 month because of the delay of  NOC  (  obstructions )  FOR EVERY PART  .

if the contractor submit claim   for extension of time , then when we have to study his claim and assign the actual date of getting the  NOC FOR EVERY PART on primaver P3  .  we have to put the actual % of work done at site or  we have to put dates only without precentage of work done

Best regards

waheed

sathis jayaweera
User offline. Last seen 11 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Edgar

Excellence answer

jayaweera
ashraf alawady
Hi
My advice ;-
*read properly the contract documents(condition of contract,Bill of quantities,contaract agreemet,specification......etc)specificlly for your contract.

*The only chance to issue avariation with addetional quantities and without incresing the contact duration is:-

-if the addetional quantities are related to original scope activities and representing not more than 15% of the original contact amount or thos activities which have a total float ,in the approved base line programme,bigger than the required duration for construction in which the addetional quantities will have no any negative impact on the programme.
Oscar Wilde
User offline. Last seen 16 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Why are people asking so many basic questions
Its better if the reason is given then a meaninffulkl response can be given
however
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
You will get a much better response if you move this string to the Claims section.

As a note lump sum requires proving that variations have in fact occured or that changes in quantities could not have been included and have had an affect on your price.

Basically lump sum contracts enable the Client to have the benefit of knowing the outurn cost with potentially limited risk. The risk is taken by the contractor. HOWEVER READ YOUR CONTRACT AND SEE WHAT IT SAYS

Remeasurement was not invented by QS. Remeasurement enables elements or perhaps the whole project to be measured for payment against previously agreed rates. The outurn cost may therefore go up or down. An increase or reduction in quantities may not lead to a revision in the rate and generally will not be considered a variation.

However you need to understand what your contract says about time when quantities vary both under lump sum and remeasurementcontracts.

As an example take piling. While the founding level can be reasonably predicted some piles may end up being longer/shorter due to geotechnical conditions. The risk can be given to the contractor under a lump sum but if the total becomes smaller the client looses and the contractor gains.

Under remeasurement the client pays for what is done which potentially removes risk from the contractor and gives it to the Client. This may result in a cheaper unit rate.

ADVICE ON SPECIFIC CONTRACT MATTERS CAN ONLY BE GENERAL YOU MUST READ EXACTLY WHAT YOUR CONTRACT SAYS AND GET AN INTERPRETATION FROM SOMEBODY WITH EXPERIENCE. IF IT IS A STANDARD FORM LIKE FIDIC THERE ARE A LARGE NUMBER OF ARTICLES AND BOOKS ON INTERPRETATION.

Hope this helps

kind regards

Clive Randall
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Azvi,

I learn it when I started to work. Also the contract documents defined basics terms in the contract.

Another way is to make friends with QS. They invented re-measurement. They will be glad to explain to you the fundamental of QS.

Cheers,

Charlie
Edgar Ariete
User offline. Last seen 5 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

You can simply find it here. What do you mean by above "lamb" sum (lump)? Remeasurable contract causes a lot of headache...while lump sum is very risky...

hope that helps...