Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

XML Export to MSP Problem

6 replies [Last post]
Tony McClennon
User offline. Last seen 12 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

Over the last 6 months, a schedule I have been receiving as an xml export from PowerProject has been importing into MSP incorrectly. By this, I mean a significant number of tasks are only showing as 0 days duration (and both start/finish dates also showing as the same date), and the remaining tasks are showing wildly varying differences to the pdf schedule that is provided at the same time.

Prior to July 2020), I had no issues at all with the xml file importing with all durations and dates matching the pdf schedule.

As a check on my own copy of MSP being the cause of the problem, I saved one of my own MSP projects as an xml then re-imported - exact match. Similarly I exported a couple of colleague's MSP files as xml and imported using my laptop - again, no issues. I also asked the same colleagues to try importing the "rogue" xml file on their laptops, and they had the same issue as I do.

Just wondering if there has been a change in PowerProjects way of creating xml files, as in another forum, someone who had been importing xmls created by Primavera had a similar issue, and this turned out to be a new originator exporting to the P6 xml format and not a MSP compatible format - does PowerProject also offer a number of variations on xml format?

Many thanks.

Replies

Ben Taunt
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 4 hours ago. Offline

Hi Tony,

In all likelihood, both to help us explore the problem.

Thanks,

Ben

Tony McClennon

Hi Ben, Alexandre,

Thanks for your offers of help.

Ben - would you need the original powerProject file, or the xml export?

Thanks and regards,

Tony

Ben Taunt
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 4 hours ago. Offline

Hi Tony,

This does sound rather suspect - seems like we need to investigate more about what is going on here.  Can you contact support@elecosoft.com (if you are in the UK or Ireland) and we'll take a look at these files for you.

Thanks,

Ben @ Powerproject

Tony McClennon

Hi Alexandre,

Between myself and my colleagues, we have tried in both MSP 2013 and 2016, and both Standard and Professional versions.

However, still not sure why these issues have been happening since last July, as the xml files prior to that date do seem to still import correctly, which is why I was wondering if there had been a change in the way PP formats the xml files.

Thanks and regards,

Tony