Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Change tasks in to subtasks and vice versa without retyping it

4 replies [Last post]
Karina P
User offline. Last seen 9 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello.

Is it possible to change tasks in to subtasks without rewriting all the information. For example area in to desciline in vice versa. It is not so easy, as I understand. All subtasks become tasks and all tasks (milestones) becomes subtasks.

I appreciate your help guys.

Replies

Ben Taunt
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Also check you have the full licensed version of the software, not the limited free trial version.  The trial version will open an XML file of any size but will enter read-only mode if there are more than 20 tasks...

Cheers,

Ben @ Asta

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Karina

If you have opened an XML file into Asta you will need to save it as a .PP file for it to work correctly.

Also check Help > User Level > Advanced to get access to all functions.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Karina P
User offline. Last seen 9 years 23 weeks ago. Offline

Hello Mike

Thank You for Your reply. 

I was just wondering if it is possible for example to change the heararchy of tasks, drag and drop, if the schedule was uploaded in to Asta Powerproject as XML version.

I just tryed to do all You suggested, but it is like schedule is frozen.

Sorry, if all of this is hard to understand and thank You again.

Karina

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Karena - welcome to planning planet.

I do not understand your question - in Asta Power Project a task is a task at the lowest level of the project hierarchy.

There is no such thing as a sub task.

A task can be put under a summary bar and summary bars can be summarised to create a hierarchy level of detail.

You can change a task into a milestone in a number of ways:

Right click on the task and Change Into milestone

Click and hold on the end of the task and drag it to zero duration

Type "0" in the duration box

The reverse changes a milestone into a task.

BTW there is no need to place your query in more than one topic or under a different name.

Best regards

Mike Testro - PP Moderator