Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Create SubTask and show version and change log

3 replies [Last post]
Andrea Cruz
User offline. Last seen 14 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
I would like to create subtask and for each subtask I want to show the version and the features and bugs.

Task SoftwareName_X
v.1.0 v. 1.2 v.1.3 v.1.4
---- --- - --- -----

(each (---) is the bar shape where bar shape is in the same line and bar text above bar shape )

Task SoftwareName _Y
v.5.0 v. 5.2 v.5.3 v.5.4
---- -- --- -----

And for each task one information about the version like features and bugs.

Someone knows if it is possible?

Thanks in advance,
Andrea Cruz.
PS: Sorry about my English. I am brazilian.

Replies

Bryan Eaton
User offline. Last seen 8 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
If SoftwareName_X is what you want per the picture below, then you have to use the "Bar Rollup" feature that MS Project kindly provides you.

It will apply the formatting to the whole of your schedule, so make sure you are structured appropriatly first. Once you have applied the format, you can change it a bit by selecting Format, Bar Styles and scroll down to *Rolled Up Task.

Shows Rolled Up Tasks with Text

I would agree with Trevor that as MS Project makes it very hard to achieve this, and you have very little control over the outcome, it is not motivating to try.

There is a software package called Milestones (at www.Kidasa.com) which does give you a lot of control over the output... and you can open straight from Project and it adds cost and effort, so maybe it is not worth pursuing.

Whether it is necessary or not is up to you...

Good luck.
Andrea Cruz
User offline. Last seen 14 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Thank you for your replay.

I don’t know if I understand or if I don’t was clear.

I have 3 questions:

1. I would like to create subtasks in the same line instead create in diferents lines.
2. And exactly above each subtask put the textbar
3. And when I choose each subtask in the same line for each subtask show me notes

It’s possible?

version 1.0 version 2.0 version 3.0
subtask1.................subtask2.............subtask3

where task1, task2, task3 are shapebar and version 1.0, 2.0 are the textbar for the each task exactly and task is the software name.

When I put the textbar above task the texbar show me

Thanks in advance,
Andrea.

Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Possible? Yes.
Necessary? Not really.
A waste of time? Maybe, but it’s your time.

To get the tasks to roll up to the Summary line, double-click the task to get to Task Information, then the General tab and check the box for Roll up to Summary.
Check the corresponding setting in the Summary.
To get the text above, probably use a Text field and Format Bar.