Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Duration is showing One day but showing two days in Task Usage

4 replies [Last post]
Shishir Dhatwalia
User offline. Last seen 6 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

Hello there!

I am using MSP 2016 and I have a doubt. As shown in the attached image, for the task name - Define, the duration is One day and it is showing a start date of 01/03/16 & 02/03/16 as finish date. Ok fine. In the Task Usage sheet - the work has been divided into 2 days with 4h work in each day. Why ?? Why not 8h in a single day?

I went to Options - Schedule and found out that the default start time is 8:00 AM with end time as 17:00. Hours per day is 8 (Standard Calendar).

The cost is fine on the Cost Sheet which is obvious as the total work hours is still 8hrs

doubt_1.png

Replies

Shishir Dhatwalia

Thanks a lot!

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Shishir,

With the improved image, it is easy to see your problem.  Task ID 2 "Determine proj" is a half-day task ending mid-day on 29Feb'16.  It's string of successors then start and finish at mid-day.

This is normal behavior whenever you introduce partial-day durations.  

Shishir Dhatwalia

Thank you for your time. I have updated the enlarged Image. As you mentioned, I added the Time in the

Options - General - Date Format but it is not helping. It is showing Time along with the Date. 

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Shishir,

The image you posted is illegible.  In the General Options, choose a Date format that includes the time of day.  That will demonstrate your task starting at mid-day on 01Mar'16 and finishing at mid-day on 02Mar'16.  You must review the logic to see why this is the case.