Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Can Asta withstand progress updates done on the different dates on the different tasks?

2 replies [Last post]
Evgeny Z.
User offline. Last seen 39 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear all,

I am coming from Microsoft Project world (which a lot of people consider not a proper scheduling tool) and I am looking now for alternatives.

I have a discussion about Spider Project tool functionality on this forum.

http://www.planningplanet.com/forums/spider-project/530450/tracking-progress-spider#comment-75696

It appears, that with all obvious to me really cool features of Spider, which I have discovered so far (e.g powerful resource leveling engine;  automatic resource assignments based on skills, where one resource may have many skills etc) the tool is not really designed for the situation, where the progress on different tasks is updated on different dates.  In another words, once in a tracking stage of a schedule, you have to have actual data entered for all tasks till exactly the same date,  before you can press reschedule button. If this is not done, then the tool will just move all of the activities (or remainder of activities), for which there is no progress to start after the latest Data Date available in the tracking database.

It does not have, what I call, “let us assume, that tasks with no progress entered are still on schedule ” functionality . The tool has paradigm, that you have to update all tasks till exactly the same date before you can plan anything further

Obviously there are some ways  available to bypass this,  but these are more tricks, than recommended ways of working.

Just wondering, how is it done in Asta?

Note: there are a lot of pictures, which illustrate the story, if you follow the link, which I put at the beginning of the post

Replies

Evgeny Z.
User offline. Last seen 39 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Mike,

my question was not so much in relation to whether it can be entered, but how does Asta handles this, once you have to reschedule your schedule in the situation, when one task has been updated with the actual data up until Monday, another up until Wednesday and today if Friday?  

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Evgeny

You can set any number of Progress Up To dates and only enter progress on the tasks that are relevant.

A filter plus the copy paste operation makes it very simple.

You can give the drop lines different colours and titles.

Best regards

Mike Testro