Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Display link slope or the difference of two dates

1 reply [Last post]
Torsti Kilkki
User offline. Last seen 6 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi, 

I'm fairly new to planning softwares but I get the basics of powerproject. My problem is that I can't display a column which shows link slope. Is it even posisible? There is a link loop but I ignored the link between these two tasks and now it doesn't affect my schedule. The problem is I can't easily see how many days do I have to shorten the lag or duration of one task to make the schedule work.

I thought another solution, if it is not possible to display link slope, is to create a formula which subtracts the successors start date with predeccors start date and displays priority traffic light as green if the result is positive and red if the result is negative. 

I know it is difficult to understand a problem or try to solve it when you can't really see it yourself. However please feel free to ask and I try my best to give more details.

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 9 hours 24 min ago. Offline

Finding link loops:  A link loop is a logical error in a plan whereby a link or series of links results in a later task imposing a logical constraint on an earlier activity. 

Link loops caused by links with maximum lag:  In certain circumstances, specifying a maximum lag time on a link can cause a link loop that at first sight does not look like a link loop.

• Are you modeling maximal lag?

It looks like you shall be looking for Relationship Free Float [RFF] or Slack:

You said you are fairly new to planning software but what you are looking for is not for the new to planning!