Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Questions about PP

3 replies [Last post]
Greg Chapp
User offline. Last seen 17 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I’ve used MSP, SurTrak, and have just now tried Contractor.

I have some questions about PP.

1. If I’m correct, it uses one file per project, rather than a dozen or so like ST, and all in one database like Contractor.

2. Does it have easy to use sub-windows or dialogue boxes to set predecessors and successors and to see what they are already for an activity? Are the dialogue boxes re-sizable?

3. Can you make hammock or summary activities over a group to show duration, etc?

4. Can you set a main calendar, and assign different calendars to individual activities?

5. Can you scroll up and down the activities with a mouse wheel? Also in dialogue boxes?

6. Can it import from ST, and back and forth with MSP?

7. Does it have a well developed printing interface? ST soemtimes has problems with this. Like when I print on 24" paper, the color doesn’t print. With Contractor the printing is low resolution it seems.

8. Will it print well to pdf? I have Acrobat and Pdf995.

9. Can I assign costs to activities?

10. Is there decent phone support if I need it in the USA?

11. I don’t use resources really, but I may in the future. Does PP do this well? Can it do resource levelling?

12. Does it have good help or a good manual? I don’t care whether it’s a file (like a pdf) or printed.

13. I do smaller projects, like 100 - 200 activities.

14. I’m assuming it will do the standard logic, like FS, FF, SS, SF. Lag from one to another. Show critical, adjustable critical by days of float.

Thanks,

GC

Replies

Mike Duce
User offline. Last seen 12 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Greg,

I use powerproject in England and have found their UK support phone line to be very good.

Obviously not sure what support services are available in the U.S.A.

But if you need advice you could try their UK office no. 01844 261 700 (obviously need to add UK dialing code in front of this)

Greg Chapp
User offline. Last seen 17 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
OK, Thanks.

13 wasn’t really a question, just a comment of the number of activities I usually do.

GC
James Bridges
User offline. Last seen 13 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Greg,

1. Correct.

2. Slightly different from P3 and Suretrak but it’s easy enough view predecessor and sucessor activities.

3 to 12 the answer is yes.

13. Not sure what your question is, PP supports any number of activities.

14. Yes.

Regards,