Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

MSP -v- P3 -v- Powerproject

106 replies [Last post]
David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 8 years 1 week ago. Offline
I read with interest the previous discussion regarding MSP –v- P3 (I couldn’t reply on that thread for some reason).
I have recently become embroiled a little in this debate when discussing the merits (?) of MSP when a colleague said :

Touching on the future, we need to be aware that MSoft has done a licensing deal with the UK government on all its products, and I am now beginning to see public sector clients requesting programmes in MSP. This wont go away of course, so is there a simple way forward?

This all came about because MSoft have dropped the .mpx format that was used by many software developers as a relatively simple way of allowing data to be transferred between different project management software. Our dilemma was that, as users of Asta Powerproject, MSP files were inaccessible and we didn’t want to regress to using MSP in parallel.

I spoke to the friendly people at Asta (try doing that with MSoft!) and their reply was:

I also know that we live in Microsoft world and they have made life a little more difficult by allowing MPX import, but disabling MPX export from MSP 2000/2003. So you can send someone a project from Powerproject in an MPX format - and they can open it. They cant send it back though!

So for that reason we have developed (and give away) an Add-In to Powerproject and MS Project that reads & writes to a common XML file format.

I have asked our Help Desk to put on a CD and send to you. You can freely distribute this within Buro4 and its clients.

We were also discussing ‘Programme Management’ (as in the management of a portfolio of projects:

We [Asta] have been very successful recently with various collection of projects in a single database - to allow cross-project reporting. This is where Powerproject scores over MS Project as it is essentially a collection of dispersed projects, rather than a coherent whole. The only really serious completion is P3e, but it is at least 3-times more expensive than PP! For this to work effectively we developed Asta Site Progress - for remote (cheap) progress feedback.

The final comment was:

Even in MSP 2003 they have the fantastic fundamental flaw of only allowing one link between two tasks. ie you cannot have a SS and FF between the same tasks - so once one has started there are no restraints! The output is also pretty poor, and of course only one task per line, etc...

My apologies if this has sounded like an advertisement for Asta Powerproject but I think we should all be aware there is useful project management software around other than P3 and MSP!

Asta Developments can be contacted at Asta Developments

Regards

David
dbordoli@burofour.co.uk

To find out mor about Buro Four visit us on the web

Replies

David Bordoli
Clive

I am in complete agreement!

This thread has lost its way and is long past it’s respond by date – I suggest (being the starter of the thread) that the moderators now close it for further discussion.

There must be an opportunity to discuss the merits of software after all they are the tools we use… in the same way that joiners will discuss the merits of Spear & Jackson –v- Stanley. What I had hoped for when starting this thread was some critical discussion and factual stuff rather than “X is best ‘cos I always use it, so there”. I am afraid this thread has generated a lot of heat but no light.

Whilst in general I welcome expression of opinion, even those who resort to uniformed comment must realise worthlessness of such statements and, more importantly, the potential dangers that can cause in an information led society. And that has nothing to do with one’s native language or culture!

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, this is my last posting on the subject!

Regards

David
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
My fingers are positivly itching to respond to Darell and Charlie and Bill sorry for the dealy and a great deal of what you say I agree with. HOWEVER

The Majority of Planners dont think!!!!!

Thats my experience.

They take off their anorak turn on their software replicate a load of crap send it to the site team and go back to spotting planning software.

Critical thought c**p C**p C**p give me any thought.

The idea that planning is all done on software remote from reality with output rates production rates and the like defies belief.

Planning requires a sleevs roled up approach.

I defie anybody to say they are a planner if they can only drive a piece of sofware. You are not a planner, you are a bulshit propagator.

To be a planner you must plan, you must logically consider the method of construction, the resources required the limits to those resources the external factors, the specification requirements and the goal, which if you dont know is to make money.

Having rattled those into your brain you must sleep on them and spit out an attempt a filling a blank sheet of paper. Then you must see if it works.

I firmly believe that only a small number of people I have met could seriously be considered planners.

If you are not one, dont worry about the software you are using or whether you are a CRITICAl W**ker put your anorak back on and go, so that the rest of us can do our job.

Lets see what heckles are raised to this

Kind regards

Clive Randall
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
David

Sometime it is very difficult to teach a old dog with new tricks. And some of us (planner) are very attached to particular software that you have to understand. That will cause a blind eyes to everything else, however it is very hard for the person / us to admit.

And sometime people claim they know the software because they went to a conference or see the demo or play around the software for couple of hrs and found that it is not exactly the same as what they use to. Then they will come to a conclusion that the software is not good.

During your discussion I can see some of it already. And I had the similar experience with some of the PPs in the forum.

What we have to do is to understand and respect their way of thinking. And agree to disagree.

Good Luck and keep planning

Cheers

Alex
Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 7 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Drrell is correct P3 is for Planners who want to manage a project.

MSP (mighty sorry program ) is for building dog houses or a level 1 engineering chart with a few activities.

Try managing a 15k activity schedule properly with msp

it will not fly pal

cheers bill guthrie
Darrell ODea
User offline. Last seen 18 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
David,

Who/whom are these "Critical Tinkers" you speak of?
Are they the Gods of Criticality? (whatever dat means).

Anyway, all any software does is "Critical Path or Chain Analysis". Does "Thinking" come into it, on the part of the software package?

Perhaps another question for another day.

And P3 in my opinion is still the best thus far.
Of course of MSP & PP/TP do somethink different, then being the fickle person that I am, will soon change my mind.

All the best,

Darrell.

ps. No disrespect to God or Gods intended, to be sure, to be sure.
David Bordoli
Charlie… you are wearing me down…

As I have stated endlessly I do not think there is such thing as the ‘best’ software. There are too many factors to consider. I appreciate there may be a favourite software – but I think that is more to do with familiarity with the product than anything else.

For the record, I regularly use Primavera, MS Project and Powerproject. The primary reason for which one I chose is what software was the original programme I am working on produced in and does my client have any preferences.

Unfortunately, even though I use P3 I have not yet reached the ‘xanadu of critical thinking’. I guess that must be because when I use MSP and Powerproject my senses get dulled.

I was not intending to criticise you use of the English language (after all it is the only one I know) but to question your view of critical thinking and why you think only P3 can reach the parts that other software cannot. Also, the definition I gave was not mine, as I said, but that of ‘The Critical Thinking Community’ whom I assume have put a lot of critical thought into their definition.

I also like your implied assumption that I am not a critical thinker, what ever one of those is (that, by the way, was a sarcastic comment).

Regards

David

Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hello David,

I’m not really a native born english but then, only english know the english language, the rest pretend to know the english language. It is for this reason that we have American english, Australian english, Irish english, etc, etc,.

I can’t understand your definition of critical thinking.

So critical thinking is only for those who experience critical thinking. I leave it to you on whatever you want to say, my only wish is for you to experience critical thinking.

You can try Primavera P3 and in the event you reach the xanadu of critical thinking, please let us know in PP.

Cheers,

Charlie

Darrell ODea
Still think P3 rules (presently), no contest.

D.
David Bordoli
Darrell

What I, and others, were asking Charlie was “what is critical thinking”. The response he gave was far from clear, and was difficult for me to see how using P3 developed his definition of critical thinking. I then tried to help by giving a more considered view of what critical thinking might be.

However, Charlie’s response was again to pass an opinion (and a relatively damning one) about something that he has no experience of. As Charlie believes himself to be a critical thinker I merely cited some of the problems of shoddy thinking (definition: of poor quality). In my humble opinion, giving advice and opinions about something one knows little about results in poor quality advice and poor quality opinion.

I am sorry that you thought my comments were a bit strong, and I have no idea where political correctness comes into this. This thread has been characterised by robust opinion but very little factual supporting evidence.

Regards

David
Darrell ODea
David,

That is a bit strong, in my view.

Perhaps this could be thought in another way.
Maybe what you might define as "Shoddy Thinking" (Whateverdatis), is another persons (political correctness), Critical Thinking.

It twould b grate 4 all f we were all the same & tought da same way, woodint it??

Respect,
Darrell

ps. I am none to impressed with PP/TP developments, and I have used it since 1988 (When it was good, in my opinion).

pps. liked ure tinker response, well tought out.

ppps. I 4 one, would not dare to advise anyone, am not qualified to give advise.
David Bordoli
Darell…

May I reply on Charlie’s behalf?

A Critical Tinker is:
A traveling mender of metal household utensils who moans a lot.

A Logical Tinker is:
A traveling mender of metal household utensils who is capable of reasoning in a clear and consistent manner.

All clear now?

Regards

David
David Bordoli
Charlie

I am amazed that you are so forthright in your view of Powerporoject when, by your own admission, you have never used it!

One of the problems with thinking (see my previous post) is:

"Shoddy thinking is costly, both in money and in quality of life.

I propose we try to advise and comment on the things we know about, and not pass judgement on the things we are ignorant of.

Regards

David
Darrell ODea
So Charlie,

What is the dirrerence between a "Critical Tinker" & a "Logical Tinker"?

All the best,
Darrell
Charleston-Joseph...
Hi Darell,

Crystal

Clear as a crystal ball.

MSP, P3, Powerproject develop critical thinking.

The only difference is the degree of development...

and P3 leads to advance stage in the development of critical thinking.

MSP very minimal approaching to zero, powerproject - maybe a little bit higher than MSP but not in the class of P3.

Cheers

Charlie
Darrell ODea
Charlie & Clive,

I think ye are both 100% right in what yea are saying.
If nothing else, just to accencuate (whatever that means) the arguements.

In that whatever you think, be it critical or non-critical, you would be correct in thinking that, because that is right for you/ye in your thinking etc.

Am I making myself clear??

Best wishes,
Darrell

David Bordoli
Charlie (and Clive)

I think I am missing something here?

You say that P3 develops critical thinking but then you say critical thinking could be anything. In trying to understand what you are saying about the benefits of using P3, does it mean, in your humble opinion that P3 develops anything, or something, depending on how the individual experiences it? Can’t that be said of virtually everything and, in my humble opinion, citing it as a reason for using a particular piece of project management software is somewhat vacuous?

However, may I refer you to http://www.criticalthinking.org/aboutCT/definingCT.shtml for a more considered definition of critical thinking. Here is an extract:

The Problem:
Everyone thinks; it is our nature to do so. But much of our thinking, left to itself, is biased, distorted, partial, uninformed or down-right prejudiced. Yet the quality of our life and that of what we produce, make, or build depends precisely on the quality of our thought. Shoddy thinking is costly, both in money and in quality of life. Excellence in thought, however, must be systematically cultivated.
A Definition:
Critical thinking is that mode of thinking - about any subject, content, or problem - in which the thinker improves the quality of his or her thinking by skillfully taking charge of the structures inherent in thinking and imposing intellectual standards upon them.
The Result:
A well cultivated critical thinker:
 raises vital questions and problems, formulating them clearly and precisely;
 gathers and assesses relevant information, using abstract ideas to interpret it effectively comes to well-reasoned conclusions and solutions, testing them against relevant criteria and standards;
 thinks open-mindedly within alternative systems of thought, recognising and assessing, as need be, their assumptions, implications, and practical consequences; and
 communicates effectively with others in figuring out solutions to complex problems.

Critical thinking is, in short, self-directed, self-disciplined, self-monitored, and self-corrective thinking. It presupposes assent to rigorous standards of excellence and mindful command of their use. It entails effective communication and problem solving abilities and a commitment to overcome our native egocentrism and sociocentrism.

Regards

David
Charleston-Joseph...
Hi Clive,

It could be anything depends on How an individual experience it.

Regards,

Charlie
Clive Randall
Charlie
What is critical thinking?
Thinking that must be done to survive?
Or perhaps the thought process is logical and structured?
Charleston-Joseph...
Hi David,

Thanks for the advise.

I do plan to dig deeper whatever I can get hold from advice like you and others from PP. But ...

Now im very busy.

For the future, i do wanted to experience spider, also Asta if there is free download. Sorry i really dont have the money to feel and experience all the planning software englighten or reveal in PP. I rely on free download. 500 USD is a big money for me, 5,000 USD i can buy a car, so planning software is in the bottom of my budget.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

Charlie

David Bordoli
Charlie...

I am suprised that, as you consider yourself to be one of the brainy people who can use P3 your critical thinking hasn’t led you to the Asta website (www.astadev.com) where you can request a fully funtioning evaluation copy of Powerproject - which includes, for dummies who can’t be bothered to look at its features, a nice ’virtual’ walkthrough at the beginning.

Apologioes for my harsh response but uninformed responses on a Monday morning I can do without!

Regards

David
pmkb .
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
If those of you with experience using P3, MSP and/or Powerproject (or any other software) would care to write a short review at the PMKB (you will need to register [free] first), the review engine would be able to provide a nice summary of the membership’s opinions.

Stacy
Participate in the Project Management Knowledge Base!
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Clive,

You stated the situation rather eloquently. But twenty years is not that long ago. Open plan version 4 did the job, but Bill Gates developed windows for brain dead people, and we all had to follow suit. I doubt if ten percent of the members of pp can use dos or dbase. The point is that before computors existed, planning was part of project management, and people still know how to draw plans (barcharts) on the back of cigarette boxes. The program does not matter, can it do the job??????????????????????
Charleston-Joseph...
Hello,

I’ll stick with P3, P3 is for brainy people, it develop critical thinking, hallmark of true planners/planning engineer, IMHO.

MSP is also good if you are paid very high salary by the client for the rubbish your giving them. Why fight for P3 if Primavera will not increase your salary. No Point.

Powerproject, I dont know. I wish they have free download for testing purposes and also evaluation.

Have a nice day to all PP. Charlie
Bill Guthrie
David and Bernard

Enjoyed reading your discourse, good read and interesting. BOTH have positive points on relationships.

Thanks, Bill guthrie
Clive Randall
About 20 years ago when I first started planning we would use letraset tape and a knife. Planning was pretty much done by hand and in reality you could see what was going on. Then we had Hornet, Openplan, Artemis etc etc. All worked to a degree. I can recall the wobblers Artemis would throw out as you approached a 1000 activity programme on a PC based system. More to the point it didnt even tell you it had done it. MS project then arrievd and it did some things that Artemis couldnt do at the time but you couldnt print a sub network even though they said you could. I felt then as I feel now that it controlled your presentations too much. My feelings for Power Project come from being a very early user, it did what you wanted, you could draw your plan on the screen start an activity having completed a percentage of another etc etc. The real acid test for me was the people who used it, foreman engineers etc. Planning in my mind is about getting the tools to the workface, getting the workers to buy into the plan. Then we had P3 a system that never really talked to anything else severely constrained the user and for some reason was liked by clients cos every other client liked it. My feeling up to relativly recently was Primevera was not a good piece of software it was slow, it had no undo button it hung if you input too fast its copy and past facilities were non existant, to an extent this has improved but still the graphics are poor the output limited and cost control on the standard package limited.
So compare all 3 and the answer for me is simple MSP is not really a piece of planning software, P3 is still fairly old, expensive and easy to make mistakes on and Power Project has some huge benefits. Having watched the software develop over the last 20 years I would say that the Asta people at least listen to what you want whereas Primervera are considerably more remote possibly because they still have Conservative Clients/employers selling the prodiuct on their behalf
At the end of the day use what is best for the Project and resist wherever possible being forced into using the wrong software.
Andrew Flowerdew
User offline. Last seen 2 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Ken,

Thankyou - I have actually used all 3 at one time or another. I have not used the lastest P3e/c however.

Ken Brown
User offline. Last seen 11 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
I can’t help but agree with you Andrew. Much of the ’debate’ since the beginning of this thread can be summed up as "I use P3, I like it and I don’t care about any other software". Don’t get me wrong - if someone is that happy with what they’ve got then there is nothing wrong with that view as far as I am concerned. I think this thread started as a discussion about the pros and cons of three different brands of software. I’m not sure that some of us have experience of actually using all three. Am I wrong?
Daya Sugunasingha
User offline. Last seen 16 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Guys
The best software for you is the software that you are most familiar with. This is because you know how it works, its strengths and weaknesses and you work around it to output the required result.
The best software for the project is the software that does the job best for that project but producing all that is required of it. This is because some software packages are better at doing some things better then others are. Tools are not universally applicable to all tasks, i.e. use a hammer to drive a nail and a screwdriver to screw in a screw, even though you could use the hammer.
Regards
Daya
Andrew Flowerdew
Hi all,

I’m staying neutral in this debate as I used both P3 and PP and like them both but a few posts have just reinforced my thoughts that P3 lovers are supporting it out of nothing but loyalty -

quote "have no problem with powerproject, however, what is it"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on P3 users, if you’re going to make a valid comment at least know what your talking about - sorry Philip it was a quote from you but it nicely encapsulates the jist of a few others.
Philip Jonker
Hi Ken,

Have no problem with power project, however, what is it? If it is anything like MSP, let it ride. The point is that in the accounting discipline or data management, programs talk to each other. Why do we have this major problem in planning, where it becomes a crusade to switch from one software to another, surely if you buy a pint of milk, from different dairies it is milk, despite the fact they treat their milk in different ways.

Whether you have excel, lotus or any of the spreadsheets, you can view files written in whatever, however, in planning the software companies rule. The question is are they not capable of competing on the same platform, in other words, are we to be bound to some particular software, despite our own prefences.

Regards
Ken Brown
User offline. Last seen 11 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hello All,

This seems to be getting a bit heated (and all from the P3 side I think).

A question for Philip and Bill. If this has been covered before - I apologise - Generally speaking, what are the aspects of Powerproject/Teamplan (v7 or v8) that you don’t like.
Philip Jonker
Hi guys,

My evening at home. I agree this is a good discussion, and maybe should be changed to what does the industry require, and not bull versus the real thing. The challenge is there, and I have been laying the gauntlet down for a while, challenge P3 and they have to respond, it is like lotus, you can still find lotus help when you work with excel.

Inappropiate text deleted by moderator.
Andrew Flowerdew
All,

This probably should go in another section but as it seems we have a lively debate here I’ll put it here!

P3 in my opinion was definitely more reliable than PowerProject - However, I do not see anyone in the P3 camp now questioning the reliability of P3e/c or even prepared to talk about it’s faults.

NO software company, have ever switched from from one operating system to another and not had problems - Microsoft themselves even can’t do it on thier own operating systems!. The product comes out, bugs are found and the usual patches, hotfixes, updates and service packs follow. Unless Primavera has done the seemingly impossible and certainly a world first -produced a new and bug free software package- then I’m sure there are issues with P3e/c which no one in the P3 camp seems willing to own up to.

This does give the impression of P3 followers seeing only what they want, blindly following the marketing hype, thier ’god’ can do no wrong!

P3 and PowerProject are both extremely good pieces of software. MSP has it’s uses. If each do what you need them to do then all are sufficient for your purpose, even MSP! You might get the impression I don’t rate MSP and you’d be right, but as a product for the mass market it does what it does at a reasonable price and you can’e expect it to compete with the specialist software.

But if we must debate which is ’best’, can we have a reality check, P3 users take thier heads out of the sand, both sides actually think about how many of all those wonderfull must have functions they actually use from day to day and come to a more considered conclusion than one based on blind loyalty.
Bill Guthrie
and I was not trying to be offensive david

tring to point out the facts that no matter what program we desire, time and time again its stated within the construction tender documents what software will be used for planning by the majors, and again for documentaton its there. Primavera.

So really would feel that 95%of the majors use primavera, not 70. This speaks for itself is the moot point.
Cheers Bill
David Bordoli
Dear All, (Bill and Philip and Alex in particular)

I can’t recall what I must have said in the final paragraph of my posting such that it was deleted – I do try not to be offensive.

Believe me… I am not disputing anything that has been said in favour of P3 et al, or even MSP, all I was asking is has anyone got any independent data on this discussion to back up the claims that are being made?

As for ‘industry standard’, I don’t think I suggested that the UK (or the US or anywhere else for that matter) was the arbiter. All I was trying to say is that some software is more prevalent in some countries than others. I am sure I have said it before but I don’t think software should be an issue; it’s the planning, programming and communication that are important.

There was a slight problem with the original ‘sign-in survey’ in that it did not feature some software. Gary wrote about that in his first posting on the Forum (see here).

Regards

David
Bill Guthrie
David

Now must reply to your statements.

Although a yank, have spent 30 years working all over the world, asia, europe,mid-east,in addition to the states, same as Philip and others.

Infact spent more time working abroad then in the states. so nothing relative to location about p3.

For DOCUMENTATION OR BACK UP, LOOK AT 90 PERCENT OF PETROCHEM CONTRACTS ISSUED BETWEEN 1990 AND 2002 AND YOU FIND THAT:
’the tenders will prepare there schedules using Primavera Project Planner’
Mobil Oil
Shell Oil
Exxon
Texaco
Philips.
And from 2002 onwords, some of them will ask for p3e.

and as far trying to push my personal pref. for a program, no, was taught to be open minded and never allow your personal favours to cloud a contractural issue. keep openminded.

Relative to Primavera people getting involved, they do not need to work now at selling a product like you do, they have a successiful product that sells itself, and will continue to do so,whereas your firm is trying to sell a wannabe scheduling program.

Having said the mouthfull above, AGREE WITH PHILIP, let someone develop a bug free program that runs like p3 and that gives the credibility that p3 gives and we will consider it, meanwile, will stick with p3 3.1
Have a great day.
bill

Alex Wong
BTW

if you look at the no of survey taken P3 is over 100 and MSP is less than 20 and Powerproject is also around 20

What does it suggest ...

Well I dont want to jump into conclusion but I guess it does tell a story

Alex
Alex Wong
Dear All

My suggestion is if the PP admin can have result analysis from the voting page for best planning software in terms of their functionality. We can then see comparison between MSP P3 and Powerproject. Of course no of people fill in the survey will be different but at least we will have an indicator the comparison between these softwares.

Cheers

Alex
Philip Jonker
Hi David,

Unfortunately, the UK does not set the industry standard, and furthermore, I and not bound to one country, as I have worked in multiple countries, and so have Bill Guthrie. If you look at the majority of jobs in the UK they are rail related, or as it is normally called by pundits, permanent way. In South Africa we can fit fit England into the Kruger National Park, and it is a nature reserve. The days of the BS standards are gone, these days there are things lik ISO. Unfortunately for you 70% of the serious planners use P3 and are happy with it, and the answers it gives, we might not be happy with the backup from Primevera bur the software in general i OK. Give us something simular, with improvements, and we will be happier
David Bordoli
Hi all

I have been on holiday and am now wading through my emails and PP postings.

I love this debate, even though I am not sure if it ever goes anywhere or even changes anyone’s minds about the ‘best’ software.

I was interested in a comment Philip made (03 August)
”P3 is the industry standard”
and Bill’s comment (09 August)
”Time and Time again since 1986, P3 has proved to be the best support tool for Construciton Planning” .

Despite those who think I am an advocate for a particular software (I regularly use P3, Powerproject and MSP) I try to remain objective. Previously I have made reference to independent research data on the popularity and functionality of various software. Do you, Philip and Bill, have any data to support your views or are they a reflection of your preference. I think also that there are some geographical biases here too with Philip being I Africa, Bill in the Americas and Daya in Europe – I am thinking maybe that what is the ‘industry standard’ in the US might not be the ‘industry standard’ in the UK.

[Passage deleted by Moderator.]

Best regards

David

ps. As usual apologies if this message offends anyone.
Darrell ODea
Bill,

Well said. Couldn’t agree more.
P3 is consistint at the very least & reliability is taken for granted. And out performs most other Planning or PM tools. The initial cost may seem preclusive, but long term,
P3 don’t need or seem to change much.

Much of the competition are still trying to catch up with P3. In my humble opinion, have been spending the last 3 to 5 years trying to re-engineer their own software to suit, and have not quite hit the nail on the head. Thus revision on revision on revision add nausium. This is of course only my opinion.

Darrell
Alex,
you are right about the problems of participating in PP discussions for those who produce PM software. Even when they write about the approaches people may think that they are trying to promote the software. I am afraid that this problem is a communication barrier that restricts both parties.
Regards,
Vladimir
Alex Wong
Dear All,

I can understand why Primavera do not want to answer every questions in PP in related to P3 products. If they do, we will have the impression of they are try to selling their product and being baise. But, I do noticed that Primavera do have people constantly looking at this forum to look for product development and improvement. Like UNDO, Past Period Performance, Stack Histogram ... these are functions that we PPers been asking for and which they delivered (or at least under their latest version development).

It is difficult for a person selling the software and at the same time to promote the software in a forum like this.

Everyone will question whether there is a conflict of interest. At least I questioned several times, in related to "OPEN PLAN" and "SPIDER PROJECT"

Philip - in relate to you posting where software is only a tool. I strongly agree that, the person driving the tool is more important than the tools itself. But if you put a F1 race driver in a 1970’s family car, he/she can only do limited things with that car. Therefore, sometime we do need the right tools for the right job. MSP - to me is a family car where P3 is more like a F1.

Cheers

Alex
Philip Jonker
Thanks Daya for empathising the point
Daya Sugunasingha
Hi
It is sad and perhaps a little arrogant for a software company not to care about its users, but I suspect that they have done their homework and the necessary market research and have come to the conclusion that more of their users want the graphic interface rather the old tabular interface.
Regards
Daya
Philip Jonker
Hi

Primavera is a main partner in this discussion, but they seem to deny that the pp site exists and do not give a hoot about their users
Daya Sugunasingha
Hi Guys
Has anyone asked Primavera why they are going down the route of the the graphic icon set up by the newer software?
Daya
Bill Guthrie
David
Appreciate your input however, it is what you are wanting in scheudules not the software.

Time and Time again since 1986, P3 has proved to be the best support tool for Construciton Planning, and offers almost anything you need to manage a project in construction, so one wonders why you would go to your program or revert to msp, (mighty sorry program). this arguement will continue forever, but this is fact. P3 is the top of the line, on a scale of 1 to 10
p3 number one
msp no 10
cheers bill
Philip Jonker
Hi Guys,

The problem I have here is the imcopatability of software products. P3 is the industry standard, and as such any product, that is launched or sold, should be able to interact, or be converted to the same format. If your are pepsi, and your are trying to steal market share from coca cola, you go out and find out what everybody likes about coke. If you are Excel you make sure you can open any file format. The problem here seems to be marketing niches, ie cheap vs expensive, or can it do the job, what does the client want. Open plan has not been mentioned, but I believe they have a good product, however, they also seem to have their niche. It seems the software industry has a problem, they are giving what they seem to think what we need, rather than asking the users.

Regards
Daya Sugunasingha
Andrew
Thank you.
I was given to understand that P3 was being phased out and to be replaced with P3e, which seems to be following the graphics lead.
Regards
Daya
Daya Sugunasingha
Philip
But you said said that it (any planning software?) was a tool and as such no tool can be the right tool for every situation. Can it?Regards
Daya
Philip Jonker
Hi Daya,

It is simple, as real planners, P3 gives the right answers, and why do we have to switch to mickey mouse bullskit, even if we know the tools we are uding is correct. I do not personally have a share in P3, however it has the capability to do the job, and at the end of the day pay my salary. Further to this, I have given up on planning programs at the end of the job, and stil run them in the old style, brute force and temperament
Andrew Flowerdew
All,

P3 is very reliable, powerfull but expensive and not the most user friendly software out there. Comparatively long drawn out process to put the info in but will tell you everything you ever needed to know once the info’s there. I would at this moment in time still consider P3 to be the best software available but haven’t tried out the very lastest versions.

PowerProject is very easy to use, cheap when compared to P3 but has reliability issues. (especially when calculating the money side of things) Putting info in is easy and quick and in version 8 they did improve it’s reporting capabilities greatly. Not sure what version 9 is going to bring later this year but if they have solved the reliability issues and improved the reporting further it’s then got to be considered as a real alternative to P3. It’s biggest draw back is not being able to import info from Excel. (you can export to Excel)This might change in version 9 (hopefully) as they are including the current add on .xml file import facility for MSP data transfer - but whether you will be able to use it to import spreadsheet data into an existing programmes I don’t know.

MSP 2003, has improved over previous versions and I might choose it for programming a small project but thats about it. Actually, on second thoughts, I wouldn’t even use it for that.
Daya Sugunasingha
Dear Bill/ Philip
I have not used the latest Open Plan or P3ec and can only think that they must have done their market research before abandoning the DOS versions.

To a question for help on choosing soft ware I did give Tim Readman the following personal view from my experience in the past.

I think there is no indication that they will be reverting back to it unless market trends reverse.

This is what I sad to him.

"I hope you make the correct choice for your company.
I am an advocate of Powerproject as they have consistently listened to the wishes and needs of the man on the work face "THE PLANNER" and improved and developed it accordingly. But you have to examine both or all other software available and chose the one that delivers the end produce you require.
I have been in the field of construction planning since the days before computers were in use for planning in the UK and I have, in the past, worked with Darrell O’Dea, Garry France and David Bordoli who have made comments on this topic.
I remember the very shaky start of the introduction of the first software packages.
I was an Activities Organiser for the CIOB South London Committee going back a good few years now, when I organised a demonstration of a software for planning (I do not remember it’s name)for the CIOB members. The evening was not a success because the computers or the software kept crashing.
The story now is very different. There are so many good packages on the market that it is a problem find the one best suited for your specific end product requirements.
During the many years in the Planning Discipline I have used many planning software packages including, P3, Suretrak, Open Plan, Powerproject and others not now heard of much.
I loved the way you could manipulate the programme data via the use of their data bases in Open Plan and P3. But and this is a big "But" I did not like the fact that you had to work on the data in the dark. By this I mean that you did not see the effect of the build up or changes as you worked. You were in fact working the mechanics to achieve the end result i.e. the Bar Chart.
In around 1984 Microplanner planning software had a version for the DOS computers and one for MAC. They were two different ways of working. The DOS way working in the Engine Room the MAC way was making use of icons and graphics. The problem was that most of the industries in this country were into using the IBM processor and therefore it did not catch on.
The advent of MS Windows opened this method of using computers and made the use of software within the grasp of every one as the old saying goes "a picture is worth more then a 1000 words". The problem in the beginning was that the computers were not able to handle the larger up front memory for the graphics. But not any more as computer power is more then capable and improving by the day.
In Powerproject you use the screen to draw the bars and logic links, or not if did not wish to. And it uses "drag and drop" to add calendars, resources, Codes, etc, etc on to the bars. It is all-graphical and yet it can do all the you could do with the "other way of working" and it does it better. I am not going to attempt list the vast capability and specification of Powerproject, but I would urge you to get yourself a demonstration copy and experience it’s power and ease of use. "

Philip,
I would like to know how you would compare Powerproject V8 with the new Open Plan and New P3e.

Regards
Daya
Philip Jonker
Hi Bill,

The old Open Plan v4 (Dos) was probably better, as you had more access to the database files, including codes,etc. But since they killed that one of, P3 has probably been the best replacement since then. However, with the advent of the so-called P3e and P3ec, and the latest one I saw two days ago, version P4, which is a for of P3e/ec, They are going in the wrong direction. I think the problem is a lack of marketing and as such input from users (in this case happy users).

Regards

Philip
Andrew Flowerdew
Daya,

Haven’t had my hands on P3e or P3ec so can’t comment on what they’re like, although I do know they are still alot more money than PowerProject.
Andrew Flowerdew
Daya,

If you’re buying today I’d go for P3, if it can wait for abit then I’d see what PowerProject v9 has to offer.
Daya Sugunasingha
Each to his own!
When you get used to using a certain piece of software you get to know how to set it up best from the begining and get round it’s weaker points and really make use of it stronger points and you can do it quicker then if you used software you don’t know too well because it presents too much of an effort to change to something different and new or you do not enough time to do so because of pressure at work to produce results asap.
Best of Luck
Regards
Daya
Bill Guthrie
Read your posting, very good. however have not found anything in 15 years that will even come close to Primavera.

P3 is King. for sure.

Cheers
Bill
Darrell ODea
Alistair,

Whats new then??
Just wait for the reactions.......

Regards,
Darrell
Alistair Blakey
User offline. Last seen 17 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Personally I’m finding Powerproject too unstable at the moment. I’ve just (for no reason) been locked out of the code library of my project because (somehow) the data has become corrupted.
Alistair Blakey
User offline. Last seen 17 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
"Just a short reply to MPX conversion. If you use V7 or V8 of powerproject you can obtain a macro from Astadev that will set up a button on your toolbar. This allows export and import of MPX programmes in both PP and MSP."

A word of warning: check the dates once the import/export is done - it is not perfect and large discrepancies can be found.
Daya Sugunasingha
Thanks
DS
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Daya, you can find Sciforma’s MPX2000 here:

MPX2000

Bernard Ertl
eTaskMaker Project Planning Software
Gavin Clegg
Just a short reply to MPX conversion. If you use V7 or V8 of powerproject you can obtain a macro from Astadev that will set up a button on your toolbar. This allows export and import of MPX programmes in both PP and MSP.

NB Also....

V9 of Powerproject will include this built in. Due to be released end of the year.

Regards

Bill Guthrie
Gents

If you want to build a outhouse not exceeding 10 activities, then MSP is the one to use. Comparing MSP and P3 is like comparing a Mini Vs a 747 jumbo.

Really, there is not even a close comparison between P3 and MSP. Look at the cost, MSP less then 1000 dollars and P3 over four thousand dollars. Everone is not nuts to spend over 4k if they could do the job for less then 1k,especially Contractors.

So suggest nipping the thread, if you want to do good planning and Scheduling use P3 WIN for constructon.

If you want to make a small presentation bar chart or plan building a home or a few engineering activities, use MSP.
Cheers Bill G
Daya Sugunasingha
Bernard
Thank you. Never the less I did find it very useful tool in the past but it did have its limitations due to MSP only prefering one link.
Regards
Daya
Daya Sugunasingha
Alexandre
Thank you very for that information, but where do I get Sciforma MPX2000. Is it a seperate software package from the MS range?
Regards
Daya
Bernard Ertl
Daya, the MPX format was limited in the data that it stored and the structure for it too. AFAIK, PMI is working on an open schema for project data. I don’t know when it might be published or implemented by vendors (or even if it will be adopted).

Bernard Ertl
eTaskMaker Project Planning Software
Philip Jonker
Hi David,

Sorry for the late reply, as the thread has just been re-surrected, but I think Messrs Heesom, D. and Mahdjoubi must have been some academics, that had no experience of practical planning, according to the their ratings of software. In fact brain dead may cover their answers better. Probably a couple of marketing surveyors, who have been smoking some strange green stuff.
Daya Sugunasingha
What we need is to be free to interchange data from one software package to the other easily and without the risk of losing some incompatable data in the process.
But I suspect that the software houses in there aim to corner as much of the market for themselves don’t see it that way and usually make it very difficult.
Why was the MPX facility in Project 2000 onwards discontinued?
Andrew Flowerdew
To input and generally use - got to be PP.
To monitor a project and get usefull data out of - P3.
Cost - PP
Support you can talk to - PP
Client base usage or requirement in UK - P3

I really would like to say PP is the best, I use it more of the time exactly because it easier to use but somehow it often has that annoying habit of not quite giving you what you want.

Hard choice, for the money PP but somhow P3 has often just got that edge when you need it.
Asif Anwar
User offline. Last seen 7 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Planners

Being a user of P3/Microsoft Project for almost 10 years and Power project recently, I have found that while PP is good for tendering purposes, it lacks behind P3 when it comes to the actual monitoring of the projects during construction phase and when preparing the resource/cost reports and histograms. P3 is ahead of MSP and PP in this regards.

Other features of presentation are more or less same for all 3 softwares.

Regards

Asif
Gary France
User offline. Last seen 16 years 1 week ago. Offline
David,

Did you find that independent Project Planning software review on the web? If so, can you let me know where you found it? Also, do you have access to any other similar reviews?

Regards,

Gary France
David Bordoli
I have just found another independent academic Project Planning Software Review:

Heesom, D. and Mahdjoubi, L (2002). Technology Opportunities and Potential for the Virtual Construction Site, Volume 2, Project Planning Software Review. Built Environment Division, University of Wolverhampton. EPSRC Grant No GR/N00876. ISBN: 1-86162-0002-0.

The results (titled ‘Functionality of CPA Software) are:

MS Project           115
Powerproject           110
Primavera           103.3
Dekker TRAKKER           100
Project Schedule      96.5
OPX2 Pro           93.3
Planview           90
Turbo Project           88.2
CA-Superproject           86.6
Pertmaster           83.3
Realtime Projects      83.2
MicroPlanner Xpert      44.9

Some might find MS Project being #1 a little perverse in that it can only handle one dependency between two tasks! Also there is an erroneous assumption in the scoring that a file exchange format ‘Microsoft Project Database’ (MPD) is a ‘de-facto’ standard whereas clearly it is not; only 3 of the 12 products use it, one of them being MSP. If that scoring is removed the results change:

Powerproject           110
MS Project           105
Primavera           103.3
Dekker TRAKKER           100
Project Schedule      96.5
OPX2 Pro           93.3
Planview           90
CA-Superproject           86.6
Realtime Projects      83.2
Turbo Project           78.2
Pertmaster           73.3
MicroPlanner Xpert      44.9

There were two areas where Powerproject scored higher than Primavera:

Q2. Primavera allows 0-100 WBS (scoring 3.3 points) and Powerproject allows over 1000 (scoring 10 points).
Q4. Primavera allows 20000-100000 tasks (scoring 6.6 points) and Powerproject allows over 100000 tasks (scoring 10 points).

I know the maths don’t add up, there should be a 10 point difference, not 7.7 and I have no idea of the accuracy of other elements - I’m just the messenger!

Regards
David
dbordoli@burofour.co.uk
Visit Buro Four on the web
Darrell ODea
Daya,
If what you are comparing functionality wise, is to TP or PP. Where Functionally is concerned, in my opinion, TP/PP falls down in many other ways. (Hey, & no disrespect intended, this is just an opinion).

Regards,
Darrell

This last reply is on the defence.
I think that if you have to go into another software to do any function that should be part of your original planning software IT IS A FAILURE IN FUNCTIONALITY!
Daya
Darrell ODea
Gavin,

In answer to your question, P3 does allow multi base lines.

Regards,
Darrell
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
[deleted by Moderator]
Daya Sugunasingha
This last reply is on the defence.
I think that if you have to go into another software to do any function that should be part of your original planning software IT IS A FAILURE IN FUNCTIONALITY!
Daya
Forum Guest
Although SureTrak can’t store more than 1 baseline. But there is an utility in SureTrak to store/load the baseline data in CSV format. Hence user can use that to compare other baseline data.
Gavin Clegg
Forum Guest,

Thanks for your comments but any number of baselines (Target Bars)can be shown against the actual worked activities. They can also be compared against actual work to show end variance (slippage) to produce a Progress Table.

We update and re-baseline each time the programme is revised, but we still need to compare the completed as-built against the original baseline programm not just the latest revision.

Suretrac does not allow this - you can only view one set of target dates. Does P3 allow this ??? I have never used it.

Forum Guest
Hey all!!!
Sorry i am only a guest have been trying to join for days but it just wont let me for some reason!!!! Oh well!

To vere away from the technical issues you guys have discussed and to get back to the real heart of this thread may i just say that whilst Powerproject Teamplan is usable i must back the corner of P3 and Suretrak. I have now used both PP5 & 7 and although i can see the dramatic steps being taken i still find that in certain aspects it falls short of P3/suretrak.

A demonstration of my critisism is the visual aspects of PP/TP, to my knowledge you are unable to show target bars for each activity whereas showing Target bars in P3 is both easy to do and indeed to view. I think that at the end of the day the software has to show things in a particularly good manner, PP/TP however i find falls short on the display of information aspects.

Another one and again this maybe my lack of knowledge but i am not a great fan of the way progress shading is shown on the activity bars, can this be changed?????

Alistair Sharp
Bernard Ertl
    Originally posted by Bernard Ertl earlier in this thread:
    In cases where a SS relationship is used, I agree that a FS relationship must be used to establish the end point relationship for the task within the logic network.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems Inc. - Project Management Software, Project Planning Software
Daya Sugunasingha
Hi Bernard
Thank you for the comment.
A "fundamental" requirement for critical path scheduling is closing the network and not leaving Activities dangling, unless there is a reason for doing so. If for example one had a string of activities all linked in accordance to its logic with FS I think that would be fine. On the other hand if one used SS the I feel it need to be closed with a FF or visa versa, don’t you agree.
Regards
Daya
Bernard Ertl
Hi Daya, no I was not talking about any specific software. I mentioned this at the end of my second post to this thread.

I was responding to a general claim. I think if you read my subsequent posts in this thread (to the first one which you took the quote from) you will see that I discuss the issue of the PDM FF construct in a general sense. For the reasons I already mentioned, I do not believe that it is a "fundamental" requirement for critical path scheduling.

The SS & FF relationships between two tasks can be modeled using SS & FS relationships (to the second task’s successors). Convenient <> Fundamental

Perhaps the painting pictures comment was a little strong. It sure made for an interesting discussion though.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems Inc. - Project Management Software, Project Planning Software
Daya Sugunasingha
Dear Bernard Ertl
On the 12 November 2003 you posted this in reply to David Bardolli posting ....

"IMHO, claiming the lack of a hammocking (or even just the lack of FF relationships for that matter) is a fundamental flaw is quite a reach. But I guess it depends on whether you are painting pictures or performing critical path analysis..."

Did you mean using Powerproject as akin to painting pictures, if not I appologise.

Powerproject can be used as a very basic bar chart drawing tool, but if used as it is intended, it can do all you want usually .... if not ASTA does give the user the opportunity to influence the development of the software and you cannot say that for many of the others
Regards
Daya
Richard Welsh
User offline. Last seen 9 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
PowerProject. Been using for a while now. Easiest to use and gives the best results! What more do you want?
Gavin Clegg
Another quick note.

I have no experience of P3, but use Suretrak (Because the client wants like it!). I do use MSP because our M+E department produces all there programmes in the format.

But, I maintain that Powerproject is the most easy to use out of all three and produces well presented programmes that ALL understand.

My Votes with Powerproject.

Regards

Gavin
Gavin Clegg
Bar Charts are easily read by all, from Project Manager to the Man/Woman at the "coal face". They can be modified and formatted to show v.detailed work on less paper (GOOD FOR TREES) and can be marked up by hand to show as-built dates including delays.

Lets not make planning / programming too complicated. We need to give a clear message to all in a "Contract Team" - not everyone is an expert in understanding complex structures / logic.

Regards

Gavin
Darrell ODea
[Inappropriate message deleted by Moderator. Please be cordial to members and guests.]