Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Change in construction direction

1 reply [Last post]
Trevor R Bird
User offline. Last seen 10 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I have a pipeline section (containing 10 linked activities) which was originally scheduled and baselined as follows:

Start KP 00000
Finish KP 10000
Start Date 1 Aug 2007
End Date 30 Sep 2007

Due to unforeseen circumstances at the planning stage we are now going to construct in the reverse direction, so the sequence of working will now be:

Start KP 10000
Finish KP 00000
Start Date 1 Aug 2007
End Date 30 Sep 2007

How do I enter progress against the original schedule?

I can find no way of indicating the location where work has commenced when it differs from the original start point of an activity. It appears to me that the activity progress function always assumes that progress commences at the originally defined start location and proceeds in the originally scheduled direction, unless an activity is split. Splitting an activity does not resolve the reverse direction of construction conundrum. The only solution I can see is to reschedule all activities in the reverse direction and compare that to the original baseline. Is there another (simpler) way of doing this?

Replies

Hubert Geier
User offline. Last seen 7 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Trevor,

After creating the baseline, you could use the option Flip direction to change the direction of working.
Then Enter the progress. So there are 2 steps of adjusting plan to actual state.

However version 6 that was shown in Australia by end of 2007 should make this easier, as progress input is idenpendent from planned construction direction. Even work breaks and move arounds can be shown then.