Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Diagrams and table reports

5 replies [Last post]
Evgeny Z.
User offline. Last seen 35 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear all,

I am playing with diagrams and table reports now and have a couple of questions. Just checking, that that I understand the things correctly and not missing something:

• Both diagrams and table reports are possible to save as a template for future use
  • Later on, it is possible to open saved table report template and a diagram and vise versa.
  • Once table report is saved as a template, it is not possible to open this template and modify it. It is only possible to recreate it from the scratch and save it again with the same name, overwriting previous report with the same name.
  • Unlike table template, it is possible to open diagram from the template, modify it and save again as a new diagram template or as the same diagram template.
  • It is also possible to open table template as a diagram, modify and save again, however in this case it is not possible to modify all parameters of the table template
  • It is not possible to see in the template what Activities have been included in the report and/or diagram template.

Regards.

Evgeny 

Replies

Yes, diagrams are linked to the project and table reports become separate documents.

These documents may be stored with the version number. So it is possible to keep historical records for any report.

For standard reports we suggest to create report templates.

Diagrams may be printed (or saved as pdf) and it is optional if to recalculate them with any change of project data or do it only by manual command.

When deleted, it shall be recreated.

It is easy to create additional WBS where selected activities belong to the same phase. Reports on this phase are cumulative reports on this set of activities.

Regards,

Vladimir

Evgeny Z.

Vladimir,

ok,  I see, that Diagram gets the name, which shows which task or phase it has been created for. I also noticed the following difference:

• Diagram can be created for a spesific 1 phase, 1 Activity, but not for random selection of them.
  • Diagram, once created, will live together with the project, untill it is deleted from it. Also when project changes, the data in the diagram will be updated. After diagram is deleted from the project, it will be lost and one will have to recreate it to get it back.

• Unlike diagram, table report can be created for a random selection of Activities
  • Unlike diagram, table report once created will be a seporate document, which can be saved seporately. Table report will not be linked to the project and will not be updated, when the related project changes. A new Table Report will have to be generated to show new (updated) project.

Is this correct?

Regards.

Evgeny

Evgeny,

when diagram is created at the left field you will see for what project phase this diagram was created.

But if you deleted this information then you are right, diagram does not show where it belongs.

Regards,

Vladimir 

Evgeny Z.

Vladimir,

yes, I see that the last stetement is not applicable to templates. Howevet this is the statement:

Is this correct?

Regards.

Evgeny

Evgeny,

looks correct but I don't understand the last paragraph. Template report can be used in any project.

Regards,

Vladimir