Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Sort order

2 replies [Last post]
Carlos Arana
User offline. Last seen 5 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Good day,

How do I define the sort order for activities in the activity gantt?

It is sorted in the order I added activities, I want it sorted by Start date.

Replies

Carlos Arana
User offline. Last seen 5 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Rafael, it was ridiculously easy.
I looked into the help, clicked each menu and was getting desperate that my milestones were not organized by early start.
I was so mentalized with the "Organize" button from P3 that it did not occur to me that you could just right click a column to sort.
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 19 hours 17 min ago. Offline
You can sort by any activity field by right clicking on the title of the field column, it will sort hierarchically within each WBS phase, you will keep your WBS Phases, but it cannot be undone. Therefore I recommend first creating a new WBS Definition and then doing your sorting, in this way you will have access to your initial sorting under another WBS. You can name your new WBS Definition same as initial WBS plus “Sorted by Start Date”, if from MAIN WBS then it would be called “MAIN WBS – Sorted by Start Date”.

Another option would be to create new user fields to define various sorting order and have instant access within the same WBS.

Try with a sample job and use the method that best fits your needs or preferences.

My preference is to sort by early date and then change/adjust activity codes to follow the sequence of my sorting order. In this way I can easily find my activities by activity code.

Another thing to remember is that in Spider Project to move activities you use cut and paste, drag and drop is not implemented in Spider as it is error prone especially if moving to a far location.