Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Please help ASAP:P6 XER Imported in to Pertmaster 8 resulted into different dates

9 replies [Last post]
Masoud A. Fard
User offline. Last seen 12 years 48 weeks ago. Offline

Dear Members,

I have created an XER from my Primavera 6.2 schedule. and imported that into Pertmaster. ersult is I have different completion dates on my project as different dates every where in general. I checked the help on Pertmaster and the only thing I could find was that I have to calculate the schedule prior to XER generation (which I had done) and then generate xer. so this didnt solve my problem.

and also I have checked every start and finsih date in primavera and nothing matches whats in pertmaster. but I found primavera start finsih dates in pertmaster in imported early start and finish dates field.

please help me with telling me how to get the same schedule in pertmaster.

thanks

Matt

Replies

vimal kumar
User offline. Last seen 10 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I am also having the same problem, when i import the project P6 schedule to Pertmaster, the plan finish dates are going beyond the dates in the original schedule. I have tried to use 24 hrs unit time etc etc but still the problem persists. Can anyone help if they also had the same problem and solved it?

Much appreciated in advance.

Vimal

Roland Tannous
User offline. Last seen 12 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello,

Rafael has the right answer.

One additional note, even after choosing the right calendar from "Plan Menu ---> Calendars" , you must also pay attention that if your original Project in MSP or P6 contained Exception Days (like holidays or whatever) , Pertmaster doesn't import these correctly (at least if its an MSP Project) and you might have to reinput the Exceptions manually under "Plan Menu---> Calendars" as well.

Best Regards,

Roland

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 17 hours 17 min ago. Offline

http://primavera.zxlm.cn/kb/prim73918

Permaster 8.5
Problem: Activities are scheduled incorrectly when importing an MSP or Primavera project into Pertmaster 8.5.
Problem: Non-working time is incorrect when importing a project into Pertmaster 8.5.
Cause: When a project is imported into Pertmaster, the “7 Day” calendar is assigned to all resources.  In Pertmaster 8.5, this calendar defaults to having working time from 9:00-16:00 when scheduling in hours.  Therefore, if a project is imported using “Hour” or “Quarter Hour” as the planning unit, any activities with resources assigned will only be scheduled from 9:00-16:00 due to the resource availability.
Fix: Workaround: Edit the “7 Day” calendar so that each day has 24 hours of working time.

Remember that when activities and resources have different but compatible calendars activity will be scheduled when resource calendar allows for it to be performed within activity calendar, this before and after resource leveling. Even dummy resources for cost distribution can have this effect.

activity vs resource calendars

Ife Olyke
User offline. Last seen 9 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks Vladimir for the response... but

When you import P6 XER into Pertmaster, it also imports the calendars. P6 calendar allows the user to modify work / non work period every 30 mins i.e.  :00-:30, :30-:60; this is not aligned with Pertmaster calendar settings (set work / non work every hour) hence total work hours may vary (though not significant). I suspect this has to do with conflict in Pertmaster and P6 settings, but I cannot put a finger on what it is. I changed the task calendar in Pertmaster but it didn’t work.

PP your email and I’ll send you screen shots..

I do not resource level, so I don’t see how it’s part of the problem.

Check if calendars are the same (same work hours, same vacations).

With resource levelling the dates may be different but before resource they shall be same if calendars, durations and constraints are the same.

Rafael Davila

Then I have no idea nor way to be of any further help. All I remember from when I was a P3e user, now P6, and at the same time a P3 and SureTrak user is that when transferring files issues with the planning unit were well known.

The common solution was through a global change formula while for lags the only way was by manual adjustment. Then after these adjustments, usually dates would be equal before resource leveling, after resource leveling obviously not necessarily equal as each had their own different algorithm.

Best regards,

Rafael

Ife Olyke

Davilla,

Durations don't change, only the dates chane. For eg, you have 8 hours duration, but the dates will show 2 days...

Rafael Davila

Do the duration of activities changed? If so, by a factor of about 8?

Ife Olyke

Hey Matt,

I have the same problem, and was wondering if you got a response or eventually solved it. Please let me know. Thanks

If