Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Rail Planner for sale or rent

12 replies [Last post]
Adrian Groves
User offline. Last seen 6 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi All,

Do any of you chaps or chapettes know of any Planning Contracts up for grabs in the Midlands / Staffordshire area?

Either short or long term would be great.

Thanks in anticipation
Adrian

Replies

Steve Burrows
User offline. Last seen 11 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Peter,

Never say never, its rainy season in Northern QLD now.....reminds me of Wigan on a Sunday afternoon.....or any other day of the week for that matter.

Doesnt look like a good time to return to the UK at the mo, I had a look at the Job Page........not a great deal about.
Peter Casson
User offline. Last seen 9 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Is it so good out there that you might not come back to the Land of Mist and Rain Steve?
Steve Burrows
Have to agree with you Joel, job security has gone. There are no guarantees either perm or freelance. But at least if your freelance and things are not good on your current contract then you can move on a lot faster to another contract not forgetting the tax benefits! If I ever go back to the UK to work it would be freelance only for me.
Joel Gilbert
User offline. Last seen 4 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
AM

All you have to do go to a search engine like www.Dogpile.com, type in Railway Planner and enter all the sites that are looking for People of your skills, I´ve been contracting for 19 years now and could kick myself for having waisted my first 13 years in one company.

Permanent offers are fine until the company work demand goes down then you will see how permanent your job is. Ask those poor people now jobless throughout the world working for banks and the car industries that had permanent jobs.

It is just a old way for the companies to make money on the pretence of job security and pay peanuts.

If you want loyalty get a dog or `Pay`
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Adrian,

Getting back to your original post, I don’t know whether you’ll find this any use, it’s the PM Hut Job Hunt. Mostly for Project Managers, but there might be something you fancy.

Chris Oggham
Steve Burrows
By the same token, after 6 years working freelance I have taken a permanent job that pays more than I was earning freelance. I had to come to Australia though to get it. I have found that in the UK, most companies (regardless of your experience & capabilities) will factor in your age when deciding a salary offer - once you come out of the UK it changes.
Graeme Collie
User offline. Last seen 7 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Baz is correct, there are pro’s and con’s to both sides and at present the con of being a freelancer is evident when there is a downturn. Theoretically you get a higher rate beacuse of the risk of only being on a fixed term contract but in the last few years because there has been so much work that has never been an issue so freelancers have never had it so good. Now I see at least two freelancers a day applying to us to ’provide us with assistance should we need it’ Can’t have it both ways, there are enough people looking now that we can find permanent staff in the majority of situations.

As for A.F.’s comments, you’ve obviously worked for the wrong companys. Some permanent employees earn far more than sub consultants / freelancers and ultimately it all depends on what type of work you want to do and how, if at all, you want to progress.
Adrian Groves
You are dead right Baz.

Contracting suits me, but if it was so good, then I wouldn’t need to ask around here for clues as to where I might find the next contract.

I’m still not changing though!
Baz Khinda
User offline. Last seen 15 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Adrian / AF,

Thanks for your replies, there are pros and cons for both perm and contract roles!

We wrote an article on it a while back, it can be found here:

Permanent or Contract Project Managers: Pro’s & Con’s

Although I have to agree that the pay isn’t as good if you’re in a permanent role!

Kind regards,

Baz

P.S. We may have some contract planner roles coming up soon, when they are I’ll be in touch, alternatively sign up for the project management jobs bulletin on our website to be kept informed.
Adrian Groves
I like your style AF.

I’m sure Baz is just doing his job, but committing permicide isn’t for me?
A. F.
User offline. Last seen 8 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Who wants to be perm these days??? Employers taking the piss with poor pay.

As soon as this downturn is over I’m out of perm and never going back. Bring it on.
Baz Khinda
User offline. Last seen 15 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Adrian,

We don’t have any primavera contracts available at present but do have a number of permanent roles.

Have a look at our website, Wellingtone Project Management.

Kind regards,

Baz Khinda
PRINCE2 Practitoner

- Project Management Recruitment

- Project Management Jobs

- Contract Project Manager