Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planning Positions roles & years of experience

15 replies [Last post]
Hatem Mahmoud
User offline. Last seen 2 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Can any body advise what is the role & years of experience for each of the following positions:

Junior Planning Engineer/Planner
Planning Engineer/Planner
Intermediate Planning Engineer/Planner
Senior Planning Engineer/Planner
Lead Planning Engineer/Planner

Replies

A. F.
User offline. Last seen 8 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
’For you to be effective, you must master the PMBOK areas of knowledge + arm yourself with the essential skill sets such as WBS, Critical Path, Variance Analysis, Risk Assessment + understanding/appreciation of the work scope & contractual terms by learning, keep learning - not just by knocking the keyboard.’

All this is very well but mostly theory. To be a good planner in my area (building) you need to understand the construction process, site constraints, access issues, etc.

This is only learnt by coming from a site background, ideally as a site engineer/manager who moves into planning at a later date.
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline

You might be the most junior member of the team, but you can make yourself to be the most influential of all.

To be real, maybe the junior member is related, personal friend, to the owner of the project
Zanudin Ahmad
User offline. Last seen 6 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Hi guys!
Positions are not as important as roles or rather how you play your roles to influence a project.

For you to be effective, you must master the PMBOK areas of knowledge + arm yourself with the essential skill sets such as WBS, Critical Path, Variance Analysis, Risk Assessment + understanding/appreciation of the work scope & contractual terms by learning, keep learning - not just by knocking the keyboard.

You might be the most junior member of the team, but you can make yourself to be the most influential of all.

I’ll pause at this, for now.
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Anoon,

Depends on your point of view I suppose, as for perfect knowledge or concepts of perfection we’re starting to get into the realms of philosophy and religion, which might not be the best idea.

Chris Oggham
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Chris,

or is it that, there’s no perfect knowledge? or nothing is perfect?
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Anoon,

In your post #5, I see what you are getting at, though perhaps it’s the way people apply their experience which can be right or wrong. I agree too that knowledge can be right or wrong, and that Charlie’s assertion that knowledge is always right (post #8) is incorrect. After all if knowledge was always right, people would still know that the world was flat.

Chris Oggham
Anoon Iimos
Charlie,

if knowledge is always right, there’ll be no more Project delays, so maybe no need for Planners! thank God, wrong knowledge still exist! Charlie’s still in business! do you need an assistant by the way?!!!
Charleston-Joseph...
and if

you dont know, you shouldnt know or mustnt know

Then, GOd help you

you are a gullible man
Charleston-Joseph...
knowledge is always right

it is similar to facts

it becomes wrong when use in the wrong experience, or it becomes outdated

the point here is to always give the guys/gals the benifit of a doubt with his/her so so +++ 10 or 20 years experience

big chance it may be a wrong experience

Very easy to catch.

Just read their post in PP
and you know, should know, must know
Charleston-Joseph...
Anoon IImmos

is an alias.

Nobody seem to know him that why it is called

anonymous

He is the same person as PP ID number ...

Oh we don’t have to be specific otherwise it will not become anonymoous anymore, no more thrilled....

Also the puzzle will be solved

On the other hand, it is very easy to make conclusion because you can get a lot of hints... here in PP
kier legard
User offline. Last seen 14 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Anoon IImmos,

Are you related with "pinan toot".

Just wondering. your name seems very unique.

Cheers,

Kier
Anoon Iimos
"experience" can be right or wrong, knowledge as well, which one have you got Charlie?
Charleston-Joseph...
It depends

I have seen people with 10 years ++ or

20 years ++

with wrong experience.
Anoon Iimos
i believe measuring knowledge is difficult, experience makes knowledge, learning is another story
Shahzad Sikandar
User offline. Last seen 5 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
in my undertanding

Junior Planning Engineer/Planner = 0 YRS
Planning Engineer/Planner = 0-3 YRS
Intermediate Planning Engineer/Planner = 3 YRS
Senior Planning Engineer/Planner = 6 YRS
Lead Planning Engineer/Planner = dont know