Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Need advice on Dubai

4 replies [Last post]
Jerome Atkin
User offline. Last seen 4 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi there,
I have been approached about a role in Dubai.
I am very keen on the role but wanted to know a few things about the country before I go for the interview and commit myself.
I understand that the cost of renting an apartment is around the £1000 per month ?
Women can not walk around with out a man ?
Quality of life ? is it better than England ?
What are planners approx getting paid over there ?

I have never worked away from home out of the UK, so up rooting my girlfriend and baby to live in Dubai is a big decision, what to get it right.

Please can anyone give me some pointers ?
e-mail: Gerome.atkins@amec.com

Many thanks

Gerome

Replies

Nigel Winkley
User offline. Last seen 1 week 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Gerome

One minor problem is that there is an awful lot to do in Dubai and if you are going there planning on saving an expat salary, you will find lots of temptations to spend it on! Great place to work, though.
Nige
Jerome Atkin
User offline. Last seen 4 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
thanks a lot for the information.

Gerome
Haresh Jayanth
User offline. Last seen 6 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Gerome Atkins,

Now Dubai is at the peak time for construction...........if u are approached for Planning Engineer u will be getting around 20,000/- dhs to 25,000 /- salary considering ur experience in UK.

Dubai has no restrictions , women can freely walk with man , just like in UK......Plenty of Europeans are here with their family , whom I feel are comfortable with their stay , since cost of living is less compared to UK.

Quality of life is good , only thing u have to adjust with hot weather....

Cost of accomadation will be around 7000 dhs to 10,000 dhs per month for a single bed room good accomadation.......

Regards

Haresh
Sr. Planning Engineer
Dubai
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Gerome,

I can’t help you much, but this link will take you to another thread which discusses salary. As for the rest you could send a private message to some of the guys on the previous thread and they may be able to help you with more information.

Chris Oggham