Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Active Project most important items

7 replies [Last post]
Abeer Mahmoud
User offline. Last seen 7 years 44 weeks ago. Offline

Dear all

Can you please answer the following questions?

What is the purpose of prepare a list of most important items for running project?

What are the purpose and the objectives of highlighting the project most important documents?

Best Regards,

Abeer

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Abeer

If you want to receive the right answer it is important that you ask the right question.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 9 hours ago. Offline

Abeer

Who put this question? If it was management, may be they just want you to reduce your report to the important items - from their point of view. Simply they don't want to search within your report what's important to them.

It might be helpful to create a "level 2 report" containing the important milestones and e.g. some major documents approved plus arrival at site for long lead items. Maybe the one who asked you just intends to discuss with you a "readable" report, well knowing that your projects has many more items.

I just guessed, please explain your question a little more in detail.

Regards

Dieter

Abeer Mahmoud

thanks Rafael Davila for your clarifications.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 9 hours 35 min ago. Offline

Abeer,

If within reasonable time you do not get your appropiate answer I suggest you re-phrase here your request, PP forum are serius but informal. Maybe others do not understand well your request of what you mean by the purpose and the objectives of highlighting the project most important documents. There is nothing wrong others missing your point, there is nothing wrong with you clarifiying and or re-directing focus of the discussion on your own thread as you get your answers.

I hope you get what you are asking for very soon, do not give up. To me any question about what is important is relevant.

Regards,

Rafael

Abeer Mahmoud

Dear Mike,<?xml:namespace prefix = o />

Sorry for the duplicate but kindly note that till now i did not get the right answer.

So please can you help me

Thanks

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Abeer

Please do not duplicate your topic in more than 1 location.

Regards

Mike Testro

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 9 hours 35 min ago. Offline

I consider productivity [production rates] trends as the most important metric to follow on a Project.

Cost and effort are directly related to productivity, therefore it is a must on all Projects to follow and record cost [money] and effort [hours] versus production [volume of work]. Job costing can provide for this but it is not good enough with the time element, it is the relation with time element forecast that CPM models handle very well.

Project Managers are always keeping track of cost per unit of work as well as production rates, this have been for decades, perhaps centuries before CPM. My guess is that the builder of the Great Pyramid would continuously follow up on how many stones were installed on any given day and by how many men.

Once your project starts running it is that real CPM work starts, you shall gather the required statistics preferably using your software and use these to forecast trends also preferably using your software. Perhaps this is the most essential procedure managers must perform in order to manage the work.

Productivity, productivity, productivity ...