Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

The Most Important Question for Troubled Projects

4 replies [Last post]
Emily Foster
User offline. Last seen 1 year 43 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Guys,

Here's an article on The Most Important Question for Troubled Projects http://bit.ly/t1NeVf

I hope you find it useful,

Emily

Replies

Emily Foster

Hi Mike,

There's no reference in the article to a particular industry as it is relevant to many industries. I used IT as an obvious example, other examples could include Pharmaceuticals, Electronics or R&D. In addition, even the construction industry has IT departments as technology is seen as a competitive edge.

I'm glad we agree that there's common sense in the article and while this might not be helpful for you, there are always new folks joining the project management community that welcome these tips. These tips may just be reiterating what they already know or perhaps they don't necessarily apply them.

I'm not sure what you mean by the fishing reference…I'm certainly not looking for complements, just sharing our experiences, tips and learning from the community.

Thanks,

Emily

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Emily

Therewas nothing in that article that said it was IT specific.

Most of PP members work in the construction industry.

Perhaps you are fishing in the wrong lake.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Emily Foster

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry you don't agree with the article, perhaps you haven't worked with IT projects? One client we worked with had over 5,000 developers with no planning and control systems at all. After 6 months of implementing an enterprise project management tool, they cancelled a large number of 'troubled' project because they then had visibility…saving over $22M. Over the next two years, they went on to save tens of millions of Dollar more with improved measurement of the organizations performance and project delivery.

It may also be of interest to you that some of our articles including this one, are submitted to us by respected members of the project management community.

This article is currently being discussed on LinkedIn forums with a very positive feedback. Out of over 20 folks that have commented, you are the only negative one. Feel free to check it out yourself.

Finally, how is this plugging our company? It is not mentioned at all in the article and we have a policy of using our blog to share experiences and tips and may benefit the overall community.

I always welcome feedback and I enjoy our discussions.

Thanks,

Emily

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Emily

I have just read that article and it is so far off the real world as to be incredible.

I have never yet heard of a project is so far off course that the contractor's best option is to ask the employer to close it down.

Other advice is just common sense with nothing new.

If you are going to keep plugging these company adverts then at least make them useful.

Best regards

Mike Testro