Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Project Control Procedures

9 replies [Last post]
deys nassah
User offline. Last seen 6 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi guys!
Can any one direct me to a site where I can get project control procedures based on "Best Practices"
I’m looking for process flow charts with a write up for procedures and general guidelines, possibly forms.
I could probably sit and prepare them myself, but I have a one month timeline to establish them for our company.
I have already expressed to our management that one month is insufficient - I shoudl have atleast 6 months, but then they don’t care to listen!

Rgds
Deys

Replies

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
If your comany has hired 2 lots of (presumably expert) consultants to do this, and were not happy with either output I would:

-Tell them that if they insist on only giving you a month to do this, they won’t be happy with your output either.

-Ask for copies of the previous consultants reports, and detailed comments as to what they didn’t like about them.

-Better yet, ask them for a URS.

PMBOK would be my suggestion for basis of project control procedures, but I would expect the previous consultants to have followed a similar path with little success.

Good luck -I don’t envy you!
khawaja uddin
User offline. Last seen 8 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
You can do this way also .......
you can divide your companys bussiness operation in the following phases..
1-Initiation
2-Planning
3-Execution
4-controlling &
5-closing

list up all these phases in vertical column and then

list up all the reelvant department horizontally (you can interchange ,as convenient to you).

Now u have a chart for you to insert your companys process ,against each phase and below each department .....
means ....in which phase which department has what role .....once you put all of your process in the chart in right place ..then you have to link all the proceesses with each other in a manner it happens in your organization .
You can use MS VISIO software or smart draw(we use MS visio ..while i have just see the smart draw .)
I dont know how far it suits you ..anyways this is how we do in our organization .....even at group level ..

Rgds
Khawaja
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Sajid,

Yes they are. The information that they have is very good.

It depends on the size of the project that you have and its complexity. You need to spend some time adjusting them to your needs.

You should also read their newsletter. Very useful information to read from time to time.

With kind regards,

Samer
Sajid Balma
User offline. Last seen 12 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Samer
What do you think about using Method123 standard templates for documents & forms? I found them very useful to start with.

Regards
deys nassah
Dear Samer,
Thanks alot, I will do as you suggest!

Rgds
Deys
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Deys,

Would you kindly review the "Control and Monitor" processes in the PMBOK 4th edition.

PMBOK is the standard published by the Project Management Institute.

Depending on the division of work within your company, the projects are divided;

Design Stage
Construction Stage
Marketing (sales and rental) Stage
Facilities Management Stage

You will need to make sure that control each project then you can jump one step up to the Program (group of projects) control and monitor process.

I would recommend that you read the Project Management Book Of Knowledge, then you can read The Standard For Program Managment. Both by PMI. Applying the knowledge in these standards to your organization depends on your experience. Or you can hire experts with PMI knowledge to simplify the processes.

Best Regards,

Samer
deys nassah
Dear Samer,
My company’s business is real estate development. The procedures are not for any specific project but for project control for all projects for the company itself.
I joined the company about a year ago, from what i have been told, they hired independent consultants twice before and commissioned them to prepare procedures for them, but on both occasions they were not really happy with the results.
Right now we basically have a set of flow charts for some 20 procedures identified but some of these flowcharts are also not quite right.
I would like to know what is the best approach in establishing standard procedures for project controls.

Rgds
Deys
R. Catalan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Deys,

Procedures are custom-made with company requirements.

In case you want to invest in books about project control,
you can start with this link from amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywor...

Also, is this part of your roles and responsibilities? Don’t push yourself too much if is beyond your reach.

Best regards,
R. Catalan
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Deys,

Can you please give us an idea about the field that your working in and the Project that you want to write a procedure for.

Thank you.

Samer