Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

IS IT TOO LATE FOR ME TO MAKE A COME BACK?

14 replies [Last post]
Galing Galing
User offline. Last seen 16 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Fellow Engineers,

I have a BSME degree with 10+years Schedule/Cost Engineer experience ie. construction, power plants, nuclear, etc.
But that was in the 1980’s. Since then I went to my own business in Sales (not related to engineering) and now retired from it. With my 3 daughters soon going to college! I need to come out of retirement. (NO MORE SALES) I Want To Be Back In "Planning and Scheduling Engineering" Career! My first thought is to get certified in Project Planning Software Programs (to catch up with current tools of the trade - technology).... IS IT TOO LATE FOR ME TO MAKE A COME BACK?

PLEASE HELP ME, with your comments, thoughts, advise, and any response to my situation.

Sincerely,
Tony

Replies

Abhijit Kale
User offline. Last seen 5 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks,
Wish u all the best.

Cheers,
Abhijit
Abhijit Kale
Dear Antonio,

Dont take it personally. but from u r querry what i have understood is, u might have completed u r graduation by 80s. also u have mentioned u have worked for 10 yrs in similar field. so i thougt u may be having experiance of more than 30 yrs.
As per my perception with this much rich n diversified experiance, instead of turning back what you have done earlier, I thought u have to try out gor the higher ranks and management positions. becoz over there you wiill fit better instead of again turning back.

If anyways i hurt you, i feel extremly sorry.
Cheers,
Abhijit
Abhijit Kale
u are most welcome to correct my english comprehension
Galing Galing
Gentlemen,
I thank you much for your notation on my query. All of your comments are valid and appreciated. (except for the childish notes of Abhijit K. who’s english comprehension needs some improvement).

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Joe

We are near Frankfurt - about 70kms to the west.
Dieter
Joe Hellenbrand
User offline. Last seen 10 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
oh I’m sure there would be "other" reasons why a person wouldn’t be hired besides age,sex,religion,ect. but it still happens occassionally

danke aber meine deutsche is nicht gut. wo sind sie?
Dieter Wambach
Hi Joe

We have such a regulation as well. In 2007 it became valid. But here you have the difference between theory and praxis. It is very difficult to prove that you were not hired due to age....
But I’ve heard that some companies are starting to change their attitude and others never had it.
Tony
If you would be eligible and willing to work in Germany, then you should send your cv and your phone number.
Regards
Dieter

Joe Hellenbrand
interesting I’m not a lawyer (thank god) but I believe that here age,sex,religion, and I believe sexual orientation are not supposed to be involved in the hiring process and if you can prove that you were not hired you can take them to court and sue
Dieter Wambach
Hi Abhijit
This is not a childish question. I don’t know the American market, but here - in Germany - most of the big companies have a limit for age of employees to be hired which is at 40+. The same time those companies complain on a lack of qualified people.
Toni, it is not too late! Just write down, what you can offer to an employer - inclusive excellent presentations as salesman. A planner has to present the plan in front of the customer and alternatives - if required - as well.

Good luck!
Dieter
Abhijit Kale
Hi,
As per u r queery, wt i hav understood is u may hav got the experiance of more than 30 yrs.
Which is more than the age of most of the young engineers like me.
with this experiance if u start asking such a childish question over here then its a pure waste..................

Cheers,
Abhi
Galing Galing
Hi Joe H.,
Thanks for your input, [ the lousy .02 included! :) ]
and yes indeed I’ve been deeply exploring primavera, MSproject, CMAA, AACE, PMI, etc.
Joe, right now than ever there is shortage of PSE professionals in our industry. Check out this link:
http://www.pmforum.org/library/papers/2006/A_Brief_History_of_Scheduling...
Cheers,
Tony
Joe Hellenbrand
I guess he really needs some guidance.

my lousy .02 yes get educated and certified in scheduling programs. don’t know what you’ve used in the past but primavera is one of the most widely used scheduling programs in the US for highway/heavy construction. MSproject is also used but don’t think it is as near as popular.

again my lousy .02 check into getting certification from CMAA (construction manager association of america) and AACE (american association of cost engineers) I don’t know how important the certifications are but the studying/reading necessary for them will be a big help to you on finding out what updates have occured in our business. hope that helps
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Paviera

Why did you post the same topic in each Head?

Is there any specific reason to repeat the same issue in each category?
Galing Galing
Abhijit K,
Ok, apology accepted. No harm done.
It is just that I’m having a second love affair with
my "Plan and Schedule Engineering" career of which I soon expect fill up my armory with updated knowhow and emerged in the thick of this industry hoping to contribute significance to our profession for many years to come!
Cheers,
Tony