Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

IS IT TOO LATE FOR ME TO MAKE A COME BACK?

6 replies [Last post]
Galing Galing
User offline. Last seen 16 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Fellow Engineers,

I have a BSME degree with 10+years Schedule/Cost Engineer experience ie. construction, power plants, nuclear, etc.
But that was in the 1980’s. Since then I went to my own business in Sales (not related to engineering) and now retired from it. With my 3 daughters soon going to college! I need to come out of retirement. (NO MORE SALES) I Want To Be Back In "Planning and Scheduling Engineering" Career! My first thought is to get certified in Project Planning Software Programs (to catch up with current tools of the trade - technology).... IS IT TOO LATE FOR ME TO MAKE A COME BACK?

PLEASE HELP ME, with your comments, thoughts, advise, and any response to my situation.

Sincerely,
Tony

Replies

Abhishek Sidher
User offline. Last seen 13 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Antonio,
I think it is quite a challenging decision on your part to actually think about running the derby again. but i think planning is something no matter how much softwares u may add, but at the end of the day it is the fundamentals which actually give u the direction while u r planning. so i think u can definitely give it ur best shot, but before doing that u can just brush up and recall whatever u did back then. of course as someone has mentioned u may have to satisfy urself with a cut and starting all over again and how fast u regain ur form depends on how fast u pick up the things. best of luck
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Have a go if you dont want to do sales then planning may be the way to go
I know that power worldwide is red hot
I reckon if you wanted to work in or out of the US you have a good chance

Have you got any contacts left when you were in the industry if so give em a call.

The tools may have changed, we have a little more in the way of controls, safety has changed, but, we still build pretty much the same way as was done when you were doing it despite what people may think.

Galing Galing
Scott S,
Thanks for your comment, by the way it might seem that way but spamming is the last thing in my mind right now. Again thanks anyway.
Scott Sando
User offline. Last seen 16 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
I believe your experience managing your own business is something you should be able to leverage in trying to get back into project management. I expect there are many companies which would love somebody with both engineering & business management experience, but finding them would be the trick.

While you’re researching, please also research SPAM. Spammers don’t normally win many friends.

Good luck,

Scott
Galing Galing
Dennis H,
Thanks for your IMHO. I reckon your thinking, specially the "tolerance for frustration" would be a challenge, but the rest of them... I should have no problem.
Cheers,
Tony
Dennis Hanks
User offline. Last seen 8 years 1 week ago. Offline
Tony;

While you may have some experience that may carry over, IMHO you would be starting at the bottom. The world has changed so much in the last 25 years. The tools, techniques, and the projects. You would be taking a serious pay cut and have to make up a lot of lost time.

Should you do it? That will depend on your sponsor/mentor, the first assignment, your tolerance for frustration. It is a shame that you could not leverage your sales experience - your technical experience is dated, but I do not see how. If you could, go for it. If not, think long and hard.

Sorry I cannot be more encouraging.