Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

HOW TO RUN SUCCESSFUL PROJECT?

30 replies [Last post]
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
DEAR ALL,

There is too much negativsm in the thread "HOW TO FAIL A PROJECT?"

The answer to that question is very easy, piece of cake.

This thread offers a positive outlook in times that your project fails, failure.

SO I WILL ANAYLZE BLOW BY BLOW (not a blowjob) the issues raise by my peers here in PP.

Replies

A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
I believe, any successful project management consultant can do that, if he has worked on construction field.

Anyway, there used to be a guy called SENSEI, a successful project management consultant, Where is he now? has he not implemented all the stuff on his projects?

:-)
Charleston-Joseph...
Mohamed,

Well said.

I totally agree with you.

This is called empowerment of workers there responsibilities. Give the workers possession of their works and for the workers to take pride of work done.

I really love to see this happening at project site.

Cheers
Mohamed Basheer
User offline. Last seen 5 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all

To run a project successfully we have to delegate power to sub ordinates and make them answerable.

Take the organization chat and give each one his responsibility written down.

Pay them well

Organize meetings to discuss issues and make people to commit and review their earlier commitments. Help them accomplish their commitment.

Where inefficiency is tolerated efficiency will not be honoured.

Regards

Mohamed Basheer
User offline. Last seen 5 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all

To run a project successfully we have to delegate power to sub ordinates and make them answerable.

Take the organization chat and give each one his responsibility written down.

Pay them well

Organize meetings to discuss issues and make people to commit and review their earlier commitments. Help them accomplish their commitment.

Where inefficiency is tolerated efficiency will not be honoured.

Regards

Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
I do hope he doesn’t or we’ll be here for the next six months and end up wondering what Douglas MacArthur had to do with it.
James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Where is this thread leading?????
Jerome Atkin
User offline. Last seen 4 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Once in Dubai I got myself an Audi S6 340bhp (2001)
The car is silver and was a steal @ 34000 AED with 135000 km on the clock full service history, aftermarket 19” alloy wheels and blacked out windows. Looks the nuts.

This project first took off with a find a pay rather then design and build.
First of all though I made sure the homework was done and relevant sources for second hand cars were approved. Making sure my budget of 5k (UK pounds) was not broken; this had to include the purchase of the car and insurance.

After weeks of searching and wanting to take advantage of cheap motoring I finally found a friend who was selling his car. (S6)
Once I owned the car I had many happy weeks driving this beast around town. The car was with insurance right on my 5k budget. I was pleased as punch. Then got told to go onto site.

What I forgot to do was actually look at running costs for the car. Service, maintenance and spare parts.
Working on site I got two punchers (back and front) this mean all round new rubber.
Cost 5000 aed, then as I got fed up with paying so much for running to work in my dream car, I gave the car to the Mrs so she could attend “Morning Tea” with all the other “HENS”(lazy cow). Service for the car then cost another 7500 aed, because she had to have it checked over by Audi (why did I agree to this)
Which in hindsight really blew the budget and major over spend on what was first thought of as a successful project !!!

Moral: Check that all documentation and service reports / running & maintenance cost before entering into any contract. Leave the wife at home when working abroad !!!
I am now driving a Lancer 1.3 auto !!!!
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
My wife has decided that she wants a Porche 968 convertible

She likes the shape

What is it with these women

One has been located and it would appear to be well under the normal cost centre value

Apparently it comes with its own spanners

If I bring home the bacon with a substantial saving i will be the king and have a number of perks bestowed upon me thus achieving satisfaction on both our parts

I am appointing a specilist subcontractor to advise on state of the project which should ensure no major budget blowouts later

His report will ensure that time and cost are under control

I will provide further details as to the success in due course

James Griffiths
A Ford Fiesta Style 1.25L. 6 months old with 2500 miles on the clock. Very basic, but to be used for commuting to work, plus the odd few trips. Don’t want not nuffing fancy that is likely to go wrong or is a waste of money relative to the benefits (such as electric mirrors, electrochromatic rear-view mirror, SatNav, rain-sensitive wipers, light-sensitive headlights blah, blah, blah.)

The 1.25L is surprisingly quick and, so far, has fulfilled almost every expectation.
Clive Randall
So what was the car???

James Griffiths
Now guys, lets not be too hasty in judging Charlie. In essence, Charlie could have a very good point with regard to meeting "expectation". How often has each of us listened to the adverts and marketing blurb, only to find that the real level of service and product quality is absolutely appalling? Don’t we become really p**sed-off when the company fails to resolve even a minor problem? Sloping shoulders, indifference, incompetence, outright denial etc.etc. This applies to retail shops, banks, solicitors.... all sectors of both industry and commerce.

It must be noted that "success" can really only be defined from a very narrow perspective and set of criteria. It’s a classic case of "one Man’s Meat Is Another Man’s Poison". Does the project fail, just because one criterion is NOT met? Can we possibly meet EVERY project stakeholder’s criteria? What happens if we meet the measurement criteria but DON’T meet the expectation?

"Expectation" is a very powerful and influential element that is not to be ignored.

I had an ideal example just a few weeks ago. I needed to buy another car. A main dealer (a big one) just wouldn’t allow me to buy the car using my credit-card or using cash, despite the fact that he had no problem with establishing my identity and credit-worthiness. I gave him all the details and everything he could possibly have wanted. Now, for f*cks sake, in this day-and-age, why should I have to ponce-about going to get a banker’s draft etc. I have the credit-card just so that I don’t have to f*ck-about with cheques and drafts and taking special trips to the bank....especially with all the modern electronic banking systems.

Ultimately I went to another, perfectly reputable dealer. I saw the car I wanted, and it was mine within the space of 1 hour...fully paid, taxed and insured....yet I’d walked into the dealer with nothing other than my credit card. The upshot was that, with the first dealer, NONE of my expectations were met. With the second dealer, they just managed to meet virtually every one. Was the car-buying project a success or failure?? With the first dealer, it was an abject failure, mainly because the dealer failed to meet my "expectations" with regard to paying for the car and their ability to be flexible. With the second dealer, it was extremely successful, not because I bought a newer car for a lower price, but because I told them that I "expected" to drive-away, that morning. Despite a potential problem with the road-tax and insurance, they had the systems in place to deal with every element of purchasing a car. In short, my "exepctations" had been fulfilled. Moreover, I would still have considered the project a success, even had I been obliged to pay a little more for the same car.
James.

Chris Oggham
Well there you have it folks!

Charlie is posting replies to people who aren’t actually taking part in the thread. There is some logic to this, if they’re not taking part in the thread, they can’t argue with him when he makes one of his ridiculous statements. I’m wondering just what other weird and unpredictable behaviour he’s going to inflict upon the long-suffering members of this forum.

Chris Oggham
Charleston-Joseph...
To De in your post #8,

Can we list down the specific metrics based on which we can say that a project has failed or is heading towards failure?

The fundamental metrics is "expectation".

Unmet expectations means failure.

You delive the expectaion, then you succeed.

Sensei
Successful Project Management Consultant
Charleston-Joseph...
To Ferdinand,

This is a good theory

Success = 4M+C I agree

M1 : Material I agree
M1 : Manpower I agree
M1 : Machine I agree
M1 : Method I agree

I will add another M for MONEY.

The barter trade is long gone, trash into history

We need money to buy materials
We need money to play the salary of workers
We need money to hire machines and equipment

So money is very important for project to succeed.

Once again a thought from
Sensei
Successful Management Consultant
Chris Oggham
Hi Clive,

I agree with you 100%. As for knowing what motivates people and makes them tick, I’d back your knowledge against that of a self-styled "sensei" or self-congratulatory "Successful Project Management Consultant" any day.

Chris
Clive Randall
does it matter????
Im sure Charlie will tell us
Clive Randall
Charlie

I would like to see you practicing what you preach about unions in a society where unions have some real clout
I dont think you would last 30 seconds
As to being a successful manager that to me requires opatience not alienation
Considering your standpoint I would question whether you would or could be successful
Still what do I know I came into planning via the field and school of hard knocks, what would I know about motivation and what makes people tick.
sathis jayaweera
User offline. Last seen 11 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Mehdi
I can’n answer to your question. It may varies
Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Dear satish,
with supporting governement any project run as a Good project.
sathis jayaweera
Dear Mehdi

I totally agreed. That is why project management need to be strategic management level. Now a days most of project management in operational level which can not address or/ diccission making with real and present to key project delivery issues. such as political power, influences, leadership, etc.
Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
Dear sathis,
I agree with you.
But in the real world we need optimazation some parameteres such as political manner, Governement roles, and etc.
sathis jayaweera
Dear All

Generally, to successful a project means that project has been completed the client expectation. In construction the client constrained are Time, Cost and Quality. This sole responsible is the project management. Therefore strategic management is required to overcome present changes and resolved the problem in a project. As traditional project management which just operation is not good enough to today market in built environment?
Therefore successful project management shall deliver the project in Time, Cost and Quality.
Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
Dear all,
I think how TO RUN SUCCESSFUL PROJECT based on Team and supporting Organization specialily governement.
James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline
The indian (or more accurately Bangladeshi,iirc) labourers went on strike on a site I was on in Singapore once.

The police turned up and asked the first guy "are you on strike?"
"Yes sir" came the reply
They arrested him
They asked the next guy the same question

In 10 minutes they had 3 guys in the back of the truck and the rest back at work.

Striking is illegal in Singapore (or it was then), I doubt you could get away with a similar approach in many other places. Try it in NY and you will find a very big inflatable black rat outside your site and you will get no deliveries, printing, lift operators or anything else. It pays to take care around unions, I don’t say I like it, but you underestimate them at your peril.
Karim Mounir
User offline. Last seen 9 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Once the Indian labors of our subcontractor in our project in UAE went for a strike requesting an increment in their salaries.
They delayed the site for nearly 5 days.

The subcontractor’s management did 2 things:
1- They raised the Indian labors salaries.
2- They added Chinese labors in the site.

But they never terminate all of the site labor, they already sustained the 5 days delay cost.
Chris Oggham
Charlie,

Having read your comments and addenda to other people’s posts, the only thing I can say is if that is the way you intend to manage your project, then the very last thing you are going to be is a successful project management consultant.

Your comment on point 9 in post #5 of this thread is most enlightening, to refresh your memory I’ll reproduce it here.

9. Workers Labour Union. Solution F>>K them. Terminate all and start anew

The interested parties would have to form an orderly queue or draw lots to decide who sued you first. I noticed as well you couldn’t resist another of you bigoted little digs at English people.

If you are going to do something like this, Charlie, do try to keep it rational.

Chris Oggham
Charleston-Joseph...
Response to Thread # 3 from Armando Moriles.

You are a lucky man.

1. Engineering & Design Issues for Construction contract only; Solution: Design Freeze
2. Poor management of Major Changes Orders/Variations; Solution: Replace the Manager
3. Flawed Estimates/Budgets (Denis).: Solution: Estimates are always flawed, not perfect. Only one PP member native born English speaker mentioned : EXACT ESTIMATES. move on to use guesstimates
4. ROW Acquisition (New Expressway Construction). Solution Enlist the support of the owner of the land. Do not use the Law of Expropriation dictatorially.

Some other factors that if not properly taken into account that would potentially influence the outcome of the project:

1. Supervisors or members of the project management team especially new members that are not familiar with the manpower and equipment norms of the company; Solution Replace them, why pay for their salary if they cannot comprehend ASAP
2. Availability of competent skilled workers suited for the project; Solution: If there is a boom, this is a real problem. Search from other countries, china, png, Africa etc.
3. Improper & Insuffecient construction Equipment and Tools (i.e. Insuffecient Tower Crane Hours for High Rise Bldg. Construction); Solution: borrow money from the bank and buy proper and sufficient construction equipment.
4. Physical Working Conditions; Solution: just be physical or let get physical
5. Access to Work; Solution Provide transportation, vertical or horizontal.
6. Construction Programme incl. Resource Loading & Unaccounted interruptions; Solution: re-evaluate the and invoke clause 14.2
7. Materials Coordination & Availability; Solution Hire dedicated material man or engineer
8. Communication; Solution: provide internet, extranet, mobile phones or use hand signal or language
9. Workers Labour Union. Solution F>>K them. Terminate all and start anew

Cheers,

Sensei
James Griffiths
Get everyone to do the work in accordance with the plan.
Charleston-Joseph...
Thread #2 by Dennis Hanks

Blaming the Project Manager is the best approach since in the first place why should we let project managers runs project that they are not qualified in the first place.

In hiring Project Manager, the cv’s must be scrutinized in microscopic details. one lies, is a ground for dismissal from site.

Also, conduct pyschological test to the project manager. Drug test, alcoholic test, emotional test (maybe keeping mistress and no concentration in his work)

So my advice is to hire the best, proven track record of project management with international exposure.

How about if the project manager a member of PP.

Hmmmmm,????? Let our peers speak for themselves

Cheers,

Sensei
Charleston-Joseph...
Thread #1 by Christian De Vera

In response:

Basically, project succeed if you achieve the following:

Attain project budget meaning if the budget is 2 Billion USD (this is different from the contract price or development cost), the balance sheet must show actual cost of around 1.5 Billion USD.

If the project duration is 2 year, at least the actual duration shall be 1.5 years

If the specified quality is ???? a lot of scenario is possible.

Cheers,

Sensei