Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Project Controls & Planning Tipping Point

5 replies [Last post]
Andre Bruggeman
User offline. Last seen 11 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Does anybody know what the "Tipping Point" is? "In sociology, a tipping point or angle of repose is the event of a previously rare phenomenon becoming rapidly and dramatically more common" Wikipedia

I believe that project controls and project planning is being acknowledged to be extremely useful for project management, but has not hit that tipping point that we are looking for. A good example is that we still struggle to implement this philosophy and techniques to the foremans, construction managers and construction engineers, and this is where it all happens, and these individuals are the ones who can make or break a project.

I am proposing to develop some kind of world wide marketing strategy to be able to move our field from "it is a good thing to have" to "it is indispensable to have", and with take our field to its "tipping point".

I believe that the main reason these individuals reject project management techniques is due to ignorance on the subject as well as fear of change. I believe that with a good information strategy they will realize the benefits of it and support the effort, rather than refuse them.

Any ideas on how to take upon this monumental endeavour?

Replies

Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
All,

Whether or not the minions believe they need programmes and plans etc. is irrelevant.

The majority of clients now make all PM aspects into contract deliverables.

This in turn implements what is formally called ’Beating Stick Management’ or its more commonly known title ’Agro-stick Peasant Whooping’

Here its up to the client to beat the PM; the PM to beat the planners, cost engineers and any else he feels like; then the planners and cost engineers have free rein to beat anyone they like within the HERAS fencing of the construction site.

Regards,

Oliver
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Wolfgang,

As attractive as James’ solution might be, I think you have got it absolutely spot on. In order to get to the tipping point described by Andre we must have buy-in from the people who have to make the plan work. As you point out it has to be "their" plan, that way they’ll fight to make it work instead of fighting to prove that it’s no good.

Perhaps that is when we reach, or at least start to get close to the tipping point that Andre mentions.

Chris Oggham
Andre Bruggeman
User offline. Last seen 11 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
In Mexico we say "We dont have time to plan, but always have time to do it twice".

I agree that by supporting the key players in developing their plan and helping them track their plan, they will find out that the information we provide is very helpful, with this we should have more and more ambassadors in our field.

But, what I am proposing, is to get a group of us together and develop a plan or a strategy to educate all the subcontractors that do not necessary feel the need for these services. We are all over the world, and we all probably encounter the problem that the smaller subcontractors do not have this capability. What we could try to do is to take some time out of our schedule and as a industry service, show the essence of planning and project controls to the local subcontractors, this way they can be ambassadors as well and show them the need and the benefits of these services.

As an example, we did this here in Poland, we trained some subcontractors in these matters and some were very grateful and some extremely resistant to the point that the did not want to listen to us. Needless to say, the ones who started using this were somewhat succesful.

I think that the problem that I encountered was that I was not persistent enough, to try it with all subcontractors, and that I was not really prepared to make this introduction and teaching to all. Each subcontractor is different, and if we can develop on this website an "introduction package" for each different type of industry or type of contractor and we can use this to spread out the idea even more.

Just throwing ideas out there. By the way, how can I start a area in this website to add the presentations that I have.
Wolfgang Heim
User offline. Last seen 8 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
I take it step by step or rather project by project in creating the "tipping point" on each individual project. After which many ambassadors spread out into the world and will be looking for it on there new project. In my humble opinion communication is the key, and i do not mean e-mails or any other none verbal form, one needs to look them in the eyes otherwise such change will never come about. Second the advice or information needs to be solid and based on accurate data while with it one should be ready to defend the strategy proposed and be ready to visualize it to them while keeping an open mind towards there expertise which could be called constructability factor. The makers or breakers sometimes need bypassing which is not always a nice thing to do but then we are not in the same boat to become friends but we are there for the project. I would not call it ignorance that they do not know about the technique, and maybe its good so they need me, since it is not the technique that you suppose to sell right? It is the result based on the technique that needs selling. I also think that not everybody is afraid of change but is afraid not being able to do it they way they have done it successfully for so many times which is probably the reason why they have been selected for the job.
Now how to get the tipping point
"Avoid planning it your way and start planning it there way" that is the only way that one will get buy-in from these guys and trust me a CM/SI/SP or Foreman recognizing HIS plan will be more willing to follow and work HIS plan. The same guy will always fight YOUR plan simple because he does not recognize it.
James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Shoot the foremen, shoot the PMs, shoot the Directors and engineers.