Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Milestone Trend Analysis

6 replies [Last post]
Bilal Mohammed
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello Friends

Can Anyone tell me What is a Milestone Trend Analysis? And How can we make it manually?

Replies

Steve,
Spider Project keeps project archives (project history) and shows trends in time for any project parameter.
Our users can open project model as it existed at any moment in the past.
Actually we always suggest to manage by trends and discovering negative trends to find the reason. It is very useful for project performance analysis.
In project performance analysis we pay more attention to risk analysis (success probability trends).
Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 13 hours ago. Offline
That’s a nice feature, Vladimir. It would make it relatively simple to accumulate the sort of data I suggest for a post mortem agenda, here:

http://www.totalprojectcontrol.com/resources/resources.html
Bilal,
I don’t know what you call milestone trend analysis but I can suggest what we use as trend analysis for milestones.
It is supported by Spider Project but can be done manually too.
Let t0 be the initial milestone finish date. After enetering 1st actual data it will become t1, 2nd - t2, etc. Now you can keep the history (for an example entering data in Excel) and create the graph that shows how forecasted finish date changed in time. If it rose you shall consider corrective action.
Another interesting trend - the variance from the baseline scheduled dates.
Trends can be created for cost and other data.
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
CPI, SPI, a lot of iss, EV, VE, VA, VM, a lot ess & mss, but none of them is a deliverable
Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 13 hours ago. Offline
My guess would be CPI and SPI earned value analysis. At least, that (in its different flavours) is one pretty good form of milestone trend analysis.
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
i guess it’s a series of deliverables depending on how you define it!