Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Organisational Charts

12 replies [Last post]
Ray Ferguson
User offline. Last seen 2 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Can any one advise me on the best software for producing Organisational charts? Are there any specifically for the construction Industry?
I am looking to produce a chart for a new project worth approximately £200m + and I am looking for some guidance on the best way to structure it and the expected number of staff expected etc. Any help or guidance references given would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Ray

Replies

Jihad Daniel
User offline. Last seen 8 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear All,

I find all your suggestions fine but remember that it’s not only how good you produce Org.Chart but also how quick you can modify and revise it.

Regards,
J. Daniel
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Guys,

I’ve watched this thread develop with some interest, and I agree that Visio is a superb tool. The problem with my organisation is that not too many people have it installed. While you can save Visio diagrams in different formats it’s easy to forget to do this.

One way you can get round this is to produce your organisation charts using Microsoft Word. Although most people are familiar with Word as a word processing package, you can produce excellent organisation charts with it, using a custom paper size in page set up if the chart is a large one. The diagram is saved as a standard Word document, so anyone can read it.

Chris Oggham.
Daya Sugunasingha
User offline. Last seen 16 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
I agree that MS Visio is the best tool that I have used to prepare organization chart. It is intuative and quick to learn and use and presentation is good
Ray Ferguson
Thanks Guys

We use Visio, I didnt realise that it is the best on the market, guess you guys just confirmed that!

The structure and layout would be great, including examples of job titles used on larger projects!

Regards

Ray
Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Hi Guys,

Everybody taking about their preferences in using Visio, Excel, Powerpoint, CAD, etc.
Ray which software do you using at the moment to draw the organisation chart? If you can specify then the discussion can be zoomed down on the utilisation and creation of organisation chart.

Regards.
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Ray

Have you consider using Pictures as well in your org charts

I had lots of clients love that idea, because if you had such a big team it will be good if people faces are in the org chart. I still think Visio is your best bet

Cheers

Alex
Ray Ferguson
Thanks Jaco

Do you know any references where I could learn more about differing layers of management used in construction, and the current job titles people are given on a job this size? I think it is Important to get the correct terminology to illustrate a professional approach and strategy.
Our company have never done a job of this size before, and I dont think there has even been that many jobs of this size in our country before.

Regards
Ray
Jaco Stadler
User offline. Last seen 17 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Well

Since the project is 200 M. You should fine that your project team is a big team (I would estimate 50 to 150) people.

Well as all have said their is verious method xls / word /powerpoint/Visio. And you will also find some other on the market. Of the above Visio is the best but would be underutilise if used only for organogram’s

Not sure what type of project you are doing but have a look at your CAD software. This I have found to be the best for big project. the Reason it is easy to do AO size organograms and because you can filter layers. If you set it up correctly you can print resource list (equipment list) This is easy espacialy if you already have a draftie in your employment

As to how you will structure it is all depended on your existing organisation and also your implementation strategy.

Cheers.

Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
MS Visio is the best to prepare organization chart with respect to presentation and usage of tools
Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Ray,

Normally, I use MS Excel to draw the organisation chart. Go to Drawing toolbar. It has flow charts, connectors, lines and etc. Easy to work and faster. Once you have completed you can copy to MS Power Point for presentation.

Regards.
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
I don’t know what the "best" is, but Microsoft Office Visio and/or Excel are easy to use.

Bernard Ertl
eTaskMaker Project Planning Software
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Hi

MS Visio is my favour, since its reasonable priced and easy to use

Cheers

Alex