Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Micro Management

8 replies [Last post]
Gilbert Rayco
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
What is micro management? Can anybody help me on this?

Replies

Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,
I think trend Micro Management is developing Applications based on Internet and Communication.

Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
Hi,
In the fact , ownwork idea in the hi-tec industries created Micro management idea in the others industries.

M.Rashidi
Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
Dear Rayco,
Micromanagement and lack of trust are cries often heard in todays business environment. In this age of accountability, downsizing and job uncertainty, all managers are faced with getting results through people.

I think that too often management throws out responsibility without clarifying what are the limits or parameters in which employees can and may make critical decisions. When boundaries are not clear employees naturally think the manager is sending mixed messages. When employees feel micromanaged, theyre basically saying, "Stop looking over my shoulder I can do this, stop checking upon me and why must I report in every step of the way?"

Management must make clear with the employee, what is the performance outcome you need. The more detailed, the better. Note the word "outcome". This is not the same as "do it my way". As long as you get the outcomes and results keep the team and ethics intact, who cares how they got the job done.

Regards
M.Rashidi
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Another thing about micro management is that the person undertaking it will usually find themselves overwhelmed with work and not be able to keep up. The usual tactic in this case is to keep asking for ad-hoc reports and information in a vain attempt to know about everything thats going on in great detail.

These tactics tend to rob the people doing the job of valuable time and increase the chances of failure. Then its a vicious circle, if they do fail the micro manager feels he/she needs to monitor them more closely, takes more of their time etc. etc.

It drives me mad!!

Duncan
http://www.projectsmart.co.uk
Mark Lomas
User offline. Last seen 15 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Lets start by stating that no-one would admit to being a "micro-manager". It is a trap many people fall into when not getting the results they expected.

More often than not, it would be as a result of the PMs poor communication of a projects objectives. This leads the project team to work on the wrong thing and the PM to have no trust that they can do the job properly, so he interferes, gets into too much detail and "micro-manages".

Can you claim for it ? Interesting ! let us know how that one works out. Ive not seen it before.

Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Gentlemen, thank you for the valuable information.
Am I right to understand that micro manager basically does not work with the plan (project schedule)? If the owner(project management team),applied micro management into the project and causing delay and discruption (plan not being followed,frequent changes on the sequencing of work,etc.) Is the contractor has a right to claim for compensation?

Your view please.

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
“Micro Management” is a bad thing. It means that someone is managing a project or people as if they and everything that they do is ‘under a microscope.’ Every action is ‘supervised’ and corrected by the manager as for proper and efficient procedure.

People don’t like to be treated like puppets, told how and when to move. They appreciate good advice when they ask for it but prefer to be given the proper training and tools and then be measured by their output.

Most Micro Managers try to do everyone’s job for them except for their own job, which is to plan and manage.
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Micromanagement - The notion, perceived or real, of closely detailed scrutiny of a programs activities by ones superiors in the chain of command, or by the Congress. May result in second-guessing, reviews, changes, or further program justification. A usurpation of authority or responsibility.

Defense Systems Management College - Definition of Terms

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems Inc. - Project Management Software, Project Planning Software