Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Rescheduling

15 replies [Last post]
Robin Jongen
User offline. Last seen 16 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi there,

Question about rescheduling
Is rescheduling a very often used? and why would you not or use it? and is there a special kind of project type it is used? and how frequently do you reschedule?

Why this question some companies the are afraid to reschedule there projects the say only when relevance is lost with the plan you can reschedule.

Replies

John Alba
User offline. Last seen 16 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
I agree with you regarding the above definition. But let me clarify something about the forecast. If there is a delay, how can you -as contractor- assure that the progress for following weeks will be the necessary to recover the delay if you are not presenting a forecast?

BR
John
John Alba
Yes, after analysis the project performance and found some of the variables –in this case the time- that is not according to the contract, then is necessary to request for a change for this aspect of the project. Then an addendum could be generated or otrosi to the contract to officially document the change request.
BR
John
Ali Hamouda
User offline. Last seen 7 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Hi John,

difference between recovery plan , forecast and target 2.

-In my projects , I make recovery plan when there is deviation or delay from the baseline(or first Target), and according to the contract agreement we should make recovery plan to return back the current schedule to it’s original baseline(I mean with out delay).
,Recovery process should not extend up to the end of the project, I mean to return back the current schedule to it is origianl situation ,,this should be limited in time and according to our contract that I am working now this process should take less that 2 monthes, other wise Penalties will be applicable.

,Recovery plan will not be a second target, becasuse it will recover our current schedule to return it back to the Origianl Baseline(or first target).

-2nd Target, will be if there is extension period in the project(according to variations or any othere sudden changes in the project end).

-Target update can be for any Target number(Target 1 or 2 or 3),this process is done whenever there is some new activites to be added or target resources or cost to be changed,,but whethen the Limited peroid of the project,and it can be done in any time,

,but it should be approved from the Consultant
In this case we will call the Schedule a "Revised schedule"

-W.R.T Forcasting,,officialy I did not make a forcast plan for the Client , but some times I make what is called"what if analysis" to guess or Forcast what will happen if I made some changes in my schedule.

thanks

Ali
-----------------------------------------------
Ernesto Puyana
User offline. Last seen 7 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
That's right on the point. Now we can go back to the real issue stated above: The baseline is part of the contract terms (at least it's outcome). Therefore, changing it requires a contractual agreement or order. I'm I right?
John Alba
I read the definition sent by "se" on 02/04 -please refer to this E-mail- and fully agree with the difference between updating and re-scheduling.
After the previous E-mails we understood the difference. Now to continue in a proactive way why you gays help us to clarify the difference between recovery plan , forecast and target 2.
TK
John
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
There are two questions in this query, one is for definition of the word reschedule and the other is the use of reschedule as compared to update as far as project management is concerned.

Definition:

Updating - it is the process of entering actual data to your current plan

Rescheduling
1. Process of revising the baseline/target schedule in terms of dates.
2. Process of analyzing the results of your "update".

Perhaps these statements can clarify further the above definitions:

1. After every "update", you can "reschedule" your plan to analyze the result of the "update".
2. If situation calls for it, you can revise your baseline/target plan by "rescheduling" to come up with baseline/target plan No. 2.
Ernesto Puyana
I think the baseline should remain unchanged as long as there are no official changes in project scope, duration or budget. When deviations become too large, it´s only an indication that no effective corrective measures have been taken along the way, or that the original schedule was unrealistic. In that case, the contractor must have documented reasons to support it´s request, since a bad estimate is not a valid reason to ask for an extension.
Ernesto Puyana
Sure. When project scope has changed significantly, or deviations are so great that comparison with original baseline becomes meaningless, or extensions have been aproved, a new baseline is in order.
Mohd Mahd
User offline. Last seen 16 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Pls refer to P3 terminology.
1- there’s no update without rescheduling.
Update = new activity status. u will not benefit from new status, unless rescheduling is done.
one can use update or rescheduling to refer to both, depends on ur system or client. also, progressing the plan is used.

2- recovery plan = plan No. 2 or 3.. recovery has some relation to contract nature, lump sum or reimbursable one. as every one has its own cost and time impact.

Robin Jongen
Yes, I’m talking about rescheduling.

Because, if you make a baseline and you created from your baseline the s-curves (Total project curve. (Early and late curve)). That is your starting point. Then you start measuring progress. Because you are not performing well on the project and because of various reasons, the actual progress is lower then the late curve.

Do you reschedule or are you calling that then updating the plan?

Maybe it’s the confusion that some clients call it rescheduling and some cal it forecasting or updating.
Ali Hamouda
User offline. Last seen 7 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Ernisto,
you are fantastic.
that was I am going to send for Mohd.

Updating should be ,
But some times we make a recovery plan and considere it as a second Target or Baseline.

Regards From Ali
--------------------------------------
Ernesto Puyana
I sense there might be a terminology confussion in the original question: are you guys talking about rescheduling or updating?
Of course one should update periodically and of course every time you update, your schedule changes accordingly, but you don’t update the baseline every time!
Could it be that what the client doesn´t want to change is the baseline?
Mohd Mahd
well, client is client, u should follow. if u as a contractor, would like to benefit from the project control to get more business, ..., u will keep 2 copies.... and good luck. mohd
Robin Jongen
Yes thats precisely the way i thouth. But even some clients do not want rescheduling of there projects. The think only when a plan lost his relevants to the work and even tahn you have to request them if you can reschedule.
Mohd Mahd
let me answer the same sequence u asked: - yes - no project control without rescheduling. - no, in all projects, even the short period ones. - it depends on project overall duration. can be weekly, bi weekly, monthly, .... - if they say so, they do not have a project control. In simple terms, u keep target plan/s and current one and compare, to have a project control. wishing i was of some help. my regards, mohd