Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 nested filters

9 replies [Last post]
Ramon Perry
User offline. Last seen 7 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I am struggling to create a nested filter with a mix of 'And' or 'Or' between each row.

Can somebody please advise how can I change an individual row from 'And' to 'Or', or vice-versa?

When I click the (All of the following) to change to (Any of the following), it seems to change ALL rows to one or the other. Also the little left and right arrows seem to be always greyed out, which makes indenting difficult.

Does anybody know of a good 'P6 nested filter' tutorial on the web, there must be one somewhere?

Regards,

Ramon

Replies

Kaif Mohsin
User offline. Last seen 6 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

Hi Ramon,

Your filter will exactly look like as it is described by Mr. Meraj. Here, is the Step by Step process:

Step 1: Assuming you are in the Filter dialog box, your first step would be to put 'Resources' equal to 'Electrical Crew' as shown in the below picture

step-1.jpg

Step 2: Next you have to 'Add' a new filter criteria and set the parameter to 'Any of the following'. So, at the end of Step 2, your filter will look like this:

step-2.jpg

Step 3: Further add two more criteria, for your activity name's of 'Electrical Installation' and 'Cable Install'. And at the end yor filter will look like this

step-3.jpg

Hope you can see the above picture's. If still you have any doubts, you are most welcome to ask.

Best Regards,

Kaif Mohsin

Ramon Perry

Thanks for your response Meraj Zia,

Specifically, my problem is I don't understand how to get the 'Or' operator in line 5.

Would you kindly offer a step by step instruction on this?

Regards,

Ramon

Meraj Zia
User offline. Last seen 4 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Ramon,

I hope you already got the solution but just in case you did not here is what I would suggest to you:

The filter lines should look like the following:

Line 1:                                 (All of the following)

Line 2:      Where                  Resources              equal               Electrical Crew

Line 3:      And                      (Any of the following)

Line 4:         Where               Activity Name         contains           Electrical Installation

Line 5:         Or                     Activity Name         contains           Cable INstall

The Line numbers above are only for explaining the format, you will not see or be able to enter the words "Line #".

Best Regards

Meraj Zia

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 34 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Kaif,

Your Image is not displaying.

Ramon Perry

Hi Kaif,

Here are the conditions of the filter I require, would you kindly provide a step by step process?

Suppose I wanted to look up a resource ‘Electrical Crew’ which has activity name containing either ‘Electrical Installation’ or ‘Cable Install’.

At the moment I would use 2 separate filters.

Filter 1: Resource Name = Electrical Crew

Filter 2: Activity Name = ‘Electrical Installation’ or ‘Cable Install’

Would be great if I could combine to a single filter

Thanks

Ramon

Kaif Mohsin

Dear Ramon,

Sorry, for a late response. I think it would be better if you can give me the conditions of the filter you want and I will give you a step by step process for your better understanding.

For Raymond: Yes, you can combine 'And' / 'Or' in one filter. See the attached image

filter.jpg

Best Regards,

Kaif Mohsin

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 34 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

You have to define 2 separate filters.

You can not combine And / or in one filter.

Ramon Perry

Thanks Kaif,

I have tried to follow those instructions, unfortunately I still don't get it.

The instructions state:

To indent the Or condition rows under the And condition rows, we inserted a new row below the last ‘And’ condition and assigned the ‘(Any of the following)’ option to it. All subsequent rows will have an Or option in the first column until we insert another ‘(All of the Following)’ option.

The above instructions suggest when you assign (Any of the following), 'all subsequent roles will have an Or option'.

When I assign (Any of the following), 'all subsequent roles will have an Or option'.

Do you know how I can get a mixture of 'And' and 'Or' ?

Regards,

Ramon

Kaif Mohsin

Dear Ramon,

You can find the desired tutorial at the following link: 

http://www.plannertuts.com/tutorials/mixing-and-and-or-options-in-primav...

Best Regards,

Kaif Mohsin