Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Instantis acquired by Oracle - What does this mean For P6?

4 replies [Last post]
Emily Foster
User offline. Last seen 1 year 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Guys,

Instantis was acquired by Oracle this week - What does this mean for Primavera? http://ow.ly/fbpgJ

Emily

Replies

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 6 days ago. Offline

Emily

Thanks for the link.

I never used Instantis, but for me there were some hints for important features from Oracle'S point of view:

- Top-Down for project portfolios

- Cloud

- Web based

- Simple - I guess for management.

In addition, Instantis has a different customer base compared to Primavera.

IMHO this purchase has targets:

1. New customers

2. Management/executive reporting

3. Cloud

Regards

Dieter

Emily Foster
User offline. Last seen 1 year 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I do agree that Oracle's statements seem to admit that the usabilty of P6 needs work. Also, some of those quotes from Mike Sicilia seem to be boilerplate and they've used very similar quotes in previous press releases.

Rafael Davila
User is online Online

ORACLE seems to accept their products are difficult to use and deploy as per following statement, and this is good. 

“Organizations realize the need for a more simplified approach to address project portfolio management initiatives – and yet most solutions are too complicated and expensive to deploy,” said Mike Sicilia, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Oracle Primavera.

Good things might come to the IT community but not necessarily for other industries.

Primavera P3e the precursor of P6 was similarly acquired from another company different to the developers of Primavera P3, different to the developers of P3e. All products initially intended for IT projects.

Maybe they found out software that do not depend on their monstrous database systems when an application specific is more efficient. The outside databases for which P6 is designed are difficult to deploy for the non IT people and take hundreds of megabits. Applications like Asta Power Project and Spider Project can do even more, in a more efficient way with their specific database integrated with their software. Asta Power Project requires less than 80 MB while Spider Project requires less than 30 MB for full deployment, and that is efficiency. By making their database OBDC compliant their database can communicate to many other external proprietary databases databases.

It might mean that the great absentee, functionality for Volume of Work will continue being absent. IT people do not need nor understand Volume of Work [seems like they don't need it] contrary to construction people where this is everyday talk.

Volume of work and productivity based on volume of work has been at the center of the management of construction jobs. Even the builders of the Great Pyramid would follow how many stones were placed on a given time by a given amount of labor, Primavera Products now ORACLE products seems to overlook this functionality critical to those of us working on construction jobs.

If this product brings the functionality for Volume of Work then it might be good, otherwise I do not believe it will benefit those in the construction industry.

Michael Areola
User offline. Last seen 11 years 24 weeks ago. Offline

Please can any one link me up with a good project management trainner, I need to speak with one very urgently,

please call me on 07877219023