Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Status Update for New Activities Does Not Reflect in Summary Level

8 replies [Last post]
Kai Pyn Tan
User offline. Last seen 9 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia, TILOS

Dear all,

I'm currently using live programme(may add/remove activities follow site situation on monthly update basis) for status update with submission programme as baseline. However when doing statusing, the summary does not capture the performance % complete for new added activity with status. 

Then i tried to restore the baseline and reupdate the new added activity, and it does reflect in the summary level

can anyone help on this as i must put the submission programme as baseline?

Regards,

Kai Pyn

Replies

Rony Roberto
User offline. Last seen 6 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Pyn,

If the programme is not resource load,

summary will not give you except duration % complete

Mohammad Irfan Ah...
User offline. Last seen 10 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia

Pyn;

If you just want to know your actual status, just change your project baseline to "Current Project" (Go to Project Tab>Assign baseline>Project Baseline). By using this you cannot use your schedule percent complete because it calculate the date base on floating date (shiftable date).

Regards;

Mohammad Irfan Ah...
User offline. Last seen 10 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia

Pyn;

When you have "Baseline Program" assign to your current program, Performance percent complete will compute the percentage base on baseline cost, if you have no same activity with same cost in baseline program, P6 unable to calculate the percentage. This give your current result.

As what Gary proposed, you have to add the additional activity with resource to the baseline as well. You might category this additional activity in your baseline program using WBS or Activity Code for your easy reference later.

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 19 hours ago. Offline

Are you using the Physical %? and Is the Activity % complete is base on activity steps? If so, then you need to load a resource with cost.

Kai Pyn Tan

Hi Raymund,

I have check the new activity, it is using same % complete type.

Besides, I've tried to copy paste activity with same resouce and duration, status it and no % appear in summary level as well.

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 19 hours ago. Offline

The new added activities might be having different % Complete Type.

Kai Pyn Tan

Hi Gary,

option 

1) will not consider because i don't want to change the submission programme.

2) i tried but it is not working. 

regards,

Kai Pyn

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

You have 2 options:

1) When adding new activities to the live programme, add them to the submission baseline as well.

2) Use the WBS milestones option to calculate performance percent complete (admin > admin preferences > earned value > "Use WBS Milestones"