Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 Importing Predecessors and Successors from Excel

6 replies [Last post]
Cynthia Stiffler
User offline. Last seen 6 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have imported activities from an excel spreadsheet.  Can you also import Predecessors and Successors?  I tried in the file but they did not import with the activities.

Thanks

Replies

Christopher Hall
User offline. Last seen 11 years 32 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Cynthia,

There are a couple of things to be aware of when working in and out of excel.

1/ Choose the right worksheet for the field you want to amend and import.

The (*) symbol in the header defines what fields you can't import/ export in that specific worksheet.

I.e. you can't import budget hours from the Task Sheet but you can from the Resource Assignment sheet.

2/ Ensure your import setting are correct i.e you're ticking the boxes for the worksheets you've changed and wish to update when importing.

In your case I'll be importing the predecessors and successors from the 'taskpred' worksheet and ensuring this box is ticked in the import dialogue box.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Chris Hall

Cynthia Stiffler

I cannot get predecessors or successors to import but the activities have all imported.  see above for same of import page.

Cynthia Stiffler

I have tried this several times here is my import file, can you help with what I am missing?

TASK Sheet

task_codestatus_codewbs_idtask_typetask_nametarget_work_qtyactv_code_area_658_idactv_code_unit_658_idactv_code_responsibility_658_idresource_listpred_listsucc_listclndr_iddelete_record_flag
Activity IDActivity StatusWBS Code(*)Activity TypeActivity Name(*)Budgeted Labor Units(h)AreaUnitResponsibility(*)Resources(*)Predecessors(*)SuccessorsCalendar NameDelete This Row
W3-DTDE-1TBBS-1010Not StartedBL-G.23Task DependentINSTALL DTD PIPING (EMBEDDED) UNIT 1 ELEV. 516.5-520  [1-TB-BS-LIFT-2]46.71555556 U1ICSICI-PipefittersW3-C-1-TBBS-0201W3-C-1-TBBS-0207W3-5 Day - No Wthr 

TASKPRED sheet

pred_proj_idproj_idpred_task_idtask_idpred_typelag_hr_cntdelete_record_flag
(*)Predecessor Project(*)Successor ProjectPredecessorSuccessorRelationship TypeLag(d)Delete This Row
BL-GBL-GW3-C-1-TBBS-0201W3-C-1-TBBS-0207FS0 

mohammad waseem a...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
mohammad waseem a...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

export as a relationship in excel and in pred column add pred activity id and in sucessor column add succesor activity id of your logic than import.u can change the realationshipa and adjust the leg according to your requirment and than import back.

my email   :    manwer@pbad.sbg.com.sa

br

waseem

Nigel Winkley
User offline. Last seen 1 week 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine

Cynthia

Best way to is export from P6 using a dummy project with a few linked activities in it. This then gives you a template to use for the import. Just delete the original activities and paste in yours in the right columns of course.

Used this method several times, thanks to engineers working in Excel. As long as you put your info in the right columns it works well

Hope this helps

Cheers

Nige