Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Calculation of remaining Duration

4 replies [Last post]
johan verhoeven
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I've got a problem with regards to the remaining duration in P6 version 7. It does not seem to be calculated at all. It stays identical to the orginal duration.

I've tried to adjust the settings in the calculation Tb of the project in concern, unfortunatly no luck.

So my question, how can this field be updated?

I read on some forum that the scheduler should estimate te remaining duration and fill the estimate in the field. Sound to me a bit strange since software should be able to estimate the remaining duration by itself, it has the activity % complete, schedule % complete, the initial duration based on these three the remaining duration can be calculated ( possibly via global change).

However it sounds to complicated to me, is there an alternative?? maybe a setting somewhere hidden away ?

Would be gratefull!  

Replies

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 2 weeks ago. Offline

Johan,

The % Complete Type setting of, "Physical Percent Complete" is to be used when you DO NOT want Remaining Duration to be automatically computed.  It is used for situations where one is tracking costs seperate from time.  For your set-up, you should be using the, "Duration" setting.  Good luck!

Johannes Vandenberg
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Johan

No, making global changes to update the schedule is not the correct way.

I use the following procedure for updating.

• Before i start with updating, the schedule shall be resourced and the baseline shall be set and assigned and displayed as a yellow bar under the remaining bar
  • Set the spotlight to identify the period you wish to update 
  • All the activities requiring  are now highlighted in yellow
  • Go to the activity form  and check the box that the activity has started
  • Enter the actual start date
  • If the activity is completed then also enter the actual finish date
  • If the activity is not completed enter the % completion in the box next to the date boxes.
  • The next step is to update the remaining duration.
  • By physical % completion you have to update the % completion AND the remaining duration for every activity you manually update

If you use duration % completion , then the remaining duration is automatically updated as you enter the % completion.

If your customer is wanting  to see automatic calculation consider to change into % percentage duration type. It is not as accurate but will do the job and is less time consuming.

Johannes

johan verhoeven
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

Thank Johannes

I used the physical % complete.

never the less the remaining duration is , in my opinion not calculated, it stays equal to teh original duration. My customer however wants to see that the remaining duration is calculated. I figured out a way, by meas of a series of global changes ( by the way about 1000 activities, I've written 11 global changes, and i Get the result i wanted, Question that I ask myself Is the realy the simpliest way ??

regards

Johannes Vandenberg
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Johan

Primavera has three different ways  % completion and therefore this is affecting the manner of updating the remaining duration.

The difference is explained as detailed in the following link.

http://plannenvoornietplanners.net/planning-lezen/kolommen/kolom-9-qdura...

Johannes