Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Setup total float relative to sectional milestones instead of project completion date ?

6 replies [Last post]
Olivia RSA
User offline. Last seen 10 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Guys

how do i set this up in primavera, my total float is currently showing relative to project completion date

Replies

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Reece,

Milestone Date of ??? to be linked to last activity within a Section.

Is this milestone is your projected date to complete the section or the entire project?

Olivia RSA

sorry guys i think my wording and question was wrong, i understand how float works and that it needs to be linked up

it should have read float = milestone date - last activity in section completion date

see below

http://www.aboutcivil.com/answers/Primavera/Multiple-Critical-Paths-P6-In-MSP-I-set-a-deadline-date-on-milestones-and-it_579

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

Reece,

Both the solutions in the first two posts will give you what you want.

I strongly advise you setup a dummy project of 6 to 10 activities and trial these solutions thoroughly before applying either. -You need to understand fully the implications before you risk using them on a live project, and your last post suggests you don't understand them very well at the moment.

Personally, I would use mandatory constraints rather than lag, as you would have to manually adjust the lag values after each update to maintain the float calculations you want, whereas mandatory constraints will not suffer from this. Mandatory constraints are also easier to toggle on and off, so you can turn them on for reporting purposes, and then take them off again to see the "true" critical path running through your project and actually plan the job properly.

Be aware though that both the solutions presented run the risk of generating "false" dates downstream of where you add the lag or constraint. -Which is why it's so important to know what you are doing when you use them.

Cheers,

G

Olivia RSA

thanx guys but i dont want to show float according to one project completion date

i want to show float according to each sections completion date

I searched for long on the net and apparently the only way to do this in P6 is to split the sections up and create mini programs for each section so that primavera sees each section as a program on its own and then calculates the critical path and float for that section on its own, how true is this ?

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi,

The milestones in every section should be linked with the Project Completion Date milestone and add lags equal to Projected Cpmpletion date - Milestone dates.

Frederic Fasquelle
User offline. Last seen 1 year 10 weeks ago. Offline

Did you try to assign mandatory constraints of these milestone ?