Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Importing Problem from MS Project to Primavera

18 replies [Last post]
Utku Çil
User offline. Last seen 9 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

Hi everyone,

I'm using MS Project 2010 and P6 in the same computer. The procedure that I'm planning to use is gather all information from each responsible within the project and import those data into P6.

However, I have encountered one major problem. When I try to import a project from MS Project to P6, it gives an error having the code "CNFF\-3348-2" and in the description part, it says "Could not find file \Java\_jvm\bin\java.exe" which terminates importing process. I think that it's related to the user privilleges, since everything works perfectly when logged in as admin. So, I asked my IT guy to change my permission status to full access for the following directories:

c:/program files/oracle
c:/program files/common files/primavera common

Unfortunately, it did not work either. In short, is there a way that I can somehow access that "java.exe" file without logging in as admin?

Besides, I save the MS Project files as xml files and import to P6 that way. Will there be any problems regarding this issue? Will there be any data that could not or might not be imported? (may be some kind of relationships or activity codes, I dont know)

And one more and final question: Is it possible to import progressed data (I mean actual dates, started or finished activites or remaining days etc..) directly from MS Project or do I have to make adjustments after importing?

Thanks a lot in advance for all the answers & comments.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

xer transfer works well and I dont beleive that they rake u over the coals like Portfolio Planner does. I refuse to sign up to subcription based software.

Vagn Bo Lunding
User offline. Last seen 4 years 18 weeks ago. Offline

In my frustration over the same problem described in this link, I have found a solution throught a piece of software called Portfolio Project (Company name Portfolio Planner)

Check it out (www.portfolioplanner.eu)

Sterling Gallagher
User offline. Last seen 1 year 7 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Tony

If you are using Microsoft Project 2013, 2016 or 2019 there is now a much easier way to import between Microsoft Project and P6.  XerTransfer is a new product that allows you to open and save XER files in Microsoft Project.  You can simply save your Microsoft Project file as an XER file and import it directly into P6.  You can download a trial version at https://xertransfer.com/

Regards

Sterling Gallagher

Zoltan Palffy

Tony

Java must be installed it will be located somewhere like C:\program\files\Java\jre  <version> or

C:\program Files (x86)\Java\jre<version>

one you find it copy the full path including he jre<version> to the clipbaord for excample C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_131

the clikc on the start menu right click ansdselect computer then properties

in the control panel click on advanced system settings

select Environment Variables

look under system Variables tab an see if there is a and Existinh Java_Home variable if so hightlight it and then click edit button at the bottom if not click New button

If you selected NEW the the Variable name tyep JAVA_HOME (in all caps)

for the Variable Value paste the location from the clip board where you found the Java

Click OK then click OK again close the "view basic info about your computer" window

Log out of P6 and log back in again for the setting to be read

Tony Northover
User offline. Last seen 2 years 1 week ago. Offline

Has anyone got an 'easy to understand' fix for the error message i get when trying to import a MS Project file in P6 V16.1?

Error: Could not find file\bin\java.exe

Please, a solution that a dummy can understand!

Zoltan Palffy

why not see if you have the correct java version for the p6 version ?

Deepika Ruttala
User offline. Last seen 4 years 39 weeks ago. Offline

There is no other project with the name 'P-000000'

We have the project 'P-000000.' . When we tried to remove the dot that currently exists on this number to remove a reporting issue. The error occurs - 'The value entered for project id must be unique'. Please guide

Data/given names are example data only to understand the issue

Thanks

Deepika Ruttala
User offline. Last seen 4 years 39 weeks ago. Offline

When importing the XER file to P6, some activities are not shown. 

When accessing from the click on a predecessor activity, then a greyed out activity was shown at the bottom of the activity list which could not be modified or deleted. When importing the file a second time, it only brought in some of the activities. The third import brought in a blank page with no activities.

Other teammates tried to import by .XML, .MPX and were unsucessful in getting complete set of activities in. please guide.

Thanks

Keyel Isorena
User offline. Last seen 2 years 20 weeks ago. Offline

Dear Utku,

The way i see it (please correct me if I'm wrong) is that the function (import) works well if you are using the a windows account with an administrative privileges and when you are using other account (probably has limited or no administrative privileges) it doesn't work. If this is the case, the account (the one that has limited or no administrative privileges) is blocked from accessing java features or some portions of it which is probably needed by Primavera to proceed with the import correctly. You can try to see if you can have special privileges over java or the directories to which it is residing or connected to from your IT.

I am not an IT professional.

Regards,

Keyel

Utku Çil

Thaer,

OK, I get in now. But I could not understand what difference it would make to uninstall and re-install Primavera back? The problem arises due to my not being allowed to access that specific Java.exe file which works under a directory c:/.... something. Even if we tried to change the my permission settings as a user for that directory, the problem still continues.

As I said in my first post, everything works perfectly when logged in as admin (to Windows not Primavera), which makes me think that the problem is not related to Primavera settings. That's why, I really doubt that uninstalling and re-installing Primavera will work.

Do you have an other ideas? :)

Thanks in advance.

thaer ghanim
User offline. Last seen 12 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

S/W=Primavera 6

Utku Çil

Thaer,

I'm not sure if your post was for me or not but if it is so, what is S/W? sorry for my ignorance :)

Thank you.

thaer ghanim
User offline. Last seen 12 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

hi

if still Import option is not working ,try to install S/W again .before that remove the S/W

Rohit K
User offline. Last seen 3 years 41 weeks ago. Offline

Dieter,

I am using mpp2mpx converter and then importing it in P6.0.

I have no idea about the settings to be done while getting it imported, can you guide me?

Rohit

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 52 weeks ago. Offline

Rohit

Which format do you use? --> XML?

Did you check your import options --> the settings for resources? Maybe there is the reason.

Regards from Germany

Dieter

Rohit K
User offline. Last seen 3 years 41 weeks ago. Offline

Dieter

I am able to import only the non resource and non cost loaded schedule from 2007 to P6.0, but am not able to view it properly in P6.0 like I can view only the activities but not the dates, durations. May I know what are the modifications to be done while importing so that it is eligible sschedule.

Rohit

Utku Çil

Thanks anyway Dieter :)

If you happen to remember what your IT guy exactly did, I will be glad to learn about that..

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 52 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Utku

Some time ago I had the same problem and an IT guy solved it. As I remember it was similar to what your colleagues tried. I had no read/write acess to the directory with the Java.exe. The import tries to write a log file (type: xml) which was the real reason: I had no sufficient write access. Then it worked without any difficulties.

Sorry, I don't remember what he exactly did.

To your second question: IMHO it should be ok.

Good luck!

Dieter