Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Assign different calender to WBS & Task

11 replies [Last post]
mukunda y
User offline. Last seen 10 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

guys,

i have assinged the 6 days calender to the project, wbs duration calculating based on the 6 days calender, but i want it to calculate based on the 7 days calender,,, how to do these,,,,need to do urgently

Regards

Mukunda

Replies

Nirav Shah
User offline. Last seen 3 years 25 weeks ago. Offline

Guys,

I have assigned Night working hours calendar to group of activities and the default calender is normal working hours. As please note there are other works which are planned during day and therefore has got day working hours.

One of the element of works needs to be carried out during nights only and is anticipated to take 10 night shifts. The 'Original Duration' column is showing me the TOTAL WORKING HOURS and I am want P6 to show me the normal working days.

The bar spans out correctly in the Barchart that is for two weeks and the Start / Finish date are also correct but in duration column it just shows me the total working days to finish that element of work whereas i want to show the duration as difference of between start and finish date. 

Thanks in anticipation.

Nirav

Ferdinand U.
User offline. Last seen 6 years 34 weeks ago. Offline

if this is p6v7, from help

For project-level and WBS-level summary data: If all activities under the group band are using the same calendar, then the summarized duration and unit values are calculated using that calendar. If all the activities are not using that calendar, then the values are calculated using the project’s default calendar.

this is already mentioned by Anbin

mukunda y

Guys

checked admin preferences timeperions its  okay

Default Calender: i am selecting the default calender, wbs duration not calculating based on the default calender,,

even the activitis too not scheduling based on the default calender,,,

anyhow for activities calender assigned through Global Change, but for WBS what to do......

why default calender is not working..Please advise.

Thanka & Regards

Mukunda

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 4 days ago. Offline

Anbin

The entries under the tab "Default" are valid for new activities.

The following is from the P6-Help:

"Calendar: The default calendar for activities in the project. Click to select a new default calendar. If you change the default calendar for new activities, the Project Management module only applies the default calendar to new activities. Changing this setting does not affect existing activities." <end of quotation>

Regards

Dieter

Anbin Ponnith
User offline. Last seen 8 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

Hai Mukunda

In P6.7 WBS Duration is Calculated based on Project Default Calender

Set the Following Option

1.Project Window->Select the Project->Bottom Project Detail Tab Select Defaults->Calender->7 days Calenders

If your Using earlier version P6.0,6.1------

1.Select Enterprise->Calender

I hope it works

Regards

Anbin

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 4 days ago. Offline

Mukunda

Did you check your Admin Preferences --> Time Periods?

As follows from Primavera Help:

"Use assigned calendar to specify the number of work hours for each time period: Clear this checkbox if you want to always use the Hours per Time Period settings you specify on this tab to convert and store units and durations in the database.

Mark this checkbox to ignore the Hours per Time Period settings on this tab. When you mark this checkbox, the module converts and stores units and durations using the Hours per Time Period settings defined in each activity's or resource's assigned calendar. Using a task-dependent activity as an example, the module converts units and durations for the activity using the settings defined in the activity's assigned calendar. ..." <end of quotation>

Maybe this will help.

Regards and good luck!

Dieter

Jash Sales
User offline. Last seen 12 years 12 weeks ago. Offline

Mukunda,

You have mentioned that you assigned 6days calendar into your activities using global change....definitely all your activities will be calculated by 6 days.

assign 7days calendar to all your activities using global change. make it sure that your 7-days calendar is modified with 7 working days.

mukunda y

If i set default calender to 5 days also....it is not taking,,, it is only taking 6 days calender... please advise where i am going wrong.

Mukunda

mukunda y

Thanks Just & Justin,,,

I am using P6, I selected 7days calender as a default calender, and assigned 6 days calender to the activitie using Global Change.... But WBS is taking too 6 days calender...dont know where i am going wrong.. please adivse me...

Mukunfa

Justin James
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar, TILOS

Mukunda,

U can try with Global change..by the way ur using P3 or P6..

Regards

Justin

Jash Sales
User offline. Last seen 12 years 12 weeks ago. Offline

First, you have to create a 7-days calendar then go to your activity details and assign the activity calendar to each activity.  Next, go to admin ~ click admin preference ~time period~ then hit the assigned calendar to specify the number of work hours for each time period.

Hope this will work.

Gudluck