Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Remaining Units Late Finish Dates mismatch Finish date

5 replies [Last post]
Sayat Nurabaev
User offline. Last seen 13 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hi gents

I am doing a re-baseline of the schedule and come across with a major problem with the remaining units late finish dates. The problem is that finish dates of the early and late units is not the same. I have got an activity finishing on Sep 30 however late finish date shows Nov 7. I can’t understand why it happens. Therefore I can’t generate S-curve as late finish date goes to the wrong finish date.

I seem to have tried all the possible ways, I checked the earned value settings, I checked the resource finish dates on LOE activities. Nothing helped.

Can anyone help me please???!!!

Replies

jeff lo
User offline. Last seen 7 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Sarat,

have u checked the "must finish by"? if u did, a mandatory constraint is applied on the schedule invisiblely and the TF is positive in your case.

Regards

Jeff

Sayat Nurabaev
Francis

I will use the early units for the curve but at the same time I am asked to show late curve as well. In addition if TF is not zero then CP is not calculated properly I think.

Anyway thanks for the replies

Cheers
Francis Moyalan, ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Sayat,

You can close all the open links in the schedule to maintain proper Total Float; but this will not prevent you from not having a difference between early start date and late start else otherwise if the TF is zero.

The solution for your problem is to choose the early dates for resource remaining units as this will put you in a proper direction.

Cheers
Sayat Nurabaev
Hi Francis

Thanks for the reply first of all. Yes you are right the activities have got TF.
What is the adequate (and may be quick) solution to this problem? Relink all the activities?

Cheers

Sayat
Francis Moyalan, ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Sayat,

Have you checked the Total Float with the activity, if it has a TF, obviously then this diff: will arise between early and late start.

Other wise, check admin pref and choose earned value calculation using planned dates rather than current dates. since you tried that that must be ok.

Another option is to check the dates selection- it shall be start/ finish dates rather than using early-planned/budgeted dates which will yield different results.

try this