Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6.1 importing resources from excel

11 replies [Last post]
Roozbeh Taheri
User offline. Last seen 7 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
When I import resources from excel, I receive the massage that "the import was successful", however the resources do not appear in the resources window, and therefore I cannot assign them to activities. Do you have any idea why this happens?

My other concern regarding importing resources from excel is that in P6 it is required to select a project to be updated in import window, while resources are not project specific data, and I think P6 should not require to a specify a project in order to import resources. Maybe I am not using a correct procedure for importing resources.

I would appriciate for the correct steps to be taken to import resources from excel to P6.1

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

make sure that you have the rights to do this and click on the 3 little dots in the lower rigth hand corner of the box 

Ayman Farag
User offline. Last seen 7 years 22 weeks ago. Offline

Dears

When I tried to import Excel file into Primavera P6 Release 7 , the final window of importing (Select the project you would like to import the Excel into it) did not show any projects to be selected.

I guess this could be due to limited rights or OBS/EBS organizing, but I could not reach out how to solve it.

Any suggestion to solve it.

Ayman Farag
User offline. Last seen 7 years 22 weeks ago. Offline

Dears

When I tried to import Excel file into Primavera P6 Release 7 , the final window of importing (Select the project you would like to import the Excel into it) did not show any projects to be selected.

I guess this could be due to limited rights or OBS/EBS organizing, but I could not reach out how to solve it.

Any suggestion to solve it.

Abilash Palakkada...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
If you have 9000activities based categories assign the resources by selcting that sort of multipile activites like all steel activities select and assign the required resources. Later export to excel and readjust the bq and import back
Nafees Ghouri
User offline. Last seen 3 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
I have around 9000 activities. can i assign resources to all activities. What is the limitation
Anning Sofi
User offline. Last seen 5 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

Roozbeh, just to complete my posting below:

1) As Rodel mentioned, resource import in excel will not work. You have then to define your resources in the global database (Enterprise -> Resource->... ), defining the resource type, details and unit/price as required..

2) Now, if you wish to do import, use the resource assignment module; export from your project a resource assignment template; then assign your resources thru exce to the template; Your file is ready for import, subject to the file size limitations.

Anning Sofi
User offline. Last seen 5 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

As you said, "Maybe I am not using a correct procedure for importing resources.". - and that is true.

Alfredo Jr. Hubilla
User offline. Last seen 4 years 40 weeks ago. Offline

Roozbeh,

You can not import a Resource if you dont have an open project or where you want to put this resource to your project. Just try using SDK (Software Development Kit) for you to add Resources even without an open project.

Hope this can help

Arsalan Ali
User offline. Last seen 12 years 9 weeks ago. Offline

From where can we download the Excel SDK? 

Arsalan Ali
User offline. Last seen 12 years 9 weeks ago. Offline

From where can we download the Excel SDK? 

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 2 days 2 hours ago. Offline
Roozbeh,
P6.1 Resource import function in excel doesn’t work but resource Assignment is working fine. You have to use Excel SDK (Dictionary6.xls)

PMRef Guide:
"In the Project Management module, users cannot import any global data that does not currently exist in the Project Management database, such as resources, codes, cost accounts, and so on."