Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Globally Changing WBS and Act ID for new project

9 replies [Last post]
Bobby Cunningham
User offline. Last seen 12 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Help needed: I want to make a copy of a project but just need to globally change the first three characters of the new projects WBS from XXX-XX.X.XX to YYY-XX.X.XX and the first three chatacters of the new projects Activity ID from XXX-XX-NNNN to YYY-XX-NNNN. Thanks in advance.

Replies

Bobby Cunningham
User offline. Last seen 12 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Rodel and Ferdinand thank you for your help. Rightstring worked.
Ferdinand U.
User offline. Last seen 6 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
hi rodel

thanks for that

i thought you are using a different setting
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 1 day 13 hours ago. Offline
Ferdinand,
Thanks, I just run again the global change although different criteria and you are correct. RightString is the correct function to use. I’m rushing something and forgot to check which one I used.
Ferdinand U.
hi rodel

i followed the global specs as posted activity id eq yyy & leftstring(activity id,8)

the result with me is showing YYYXXX-XX-N

if i will use rightstring i will get YYY-XX-NNNN
Rodel Marasigan
Ferdinand,
Extract and remove is the same. Retain means remain or left behind.

Why you get an error? Maybe you’re not following the criteria? I just try the exercise to make sure and it works. I’m definitely correct using leftstring and not rightstring.
Ferdinand U.
but if i will try that, i will get error

as per HELP

leftstring means "Extracts ??? characters, beginning with the first character in the Activity Name field" - that means i will extract XXX.....

and rightstring means "Extracts ??? characters, beginning with the last character in the Activity Name field"
Rodel Marasigan
Hi Ferdinand,
LeftString is removing character from left and retaining right.
RightString is removing character from right and retaining left.
Therefore LeftString is correct. Try the exercise and let me know if I’m wrong or not. Thanks
Ferdinand U.
hi rodel

i think should be rightstring function
Rodel Marasigan
Bobby,
After copying the Project you can change the first 3 character by pressing ctrl+r (Replace Command). Click the Activity ID column and press Ctrl+R. Type 3 character that need to replace on Find What text box and enter the 3 character to use on Replace with text box. Click Replace first to check whether it is responding correctly and if happy click replace all.
Alternatively you can use global change as shown below.
Global Change Activity ID
You have to count number of character from right to left that you want to retain.
Ex: XXX-XX-NNNN = 8