Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 on Mac

10 replies [Last post]
Alastair Bates
User offline. Last seen 14 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Does anyone know if Primavera P6 can be installed onto a Mac Book Pro?

Replies

Carlos Eduardo Silva
User offline. Last seen 10 years 3 weeks ago. Offline

Hi everibody,

Has someone try to install P6 on a MacBook Pro using Crossover? Currently I use Crossover to run MS Project, MS Visio and other tools which ohas no Mac versions.

I really appreciate your advice. Sebastian, Emily, D'Artagnan, any valuable tip?

Regards,

Carlos Silva

Sebastian Schepis
User offline. Last seen 12 years 6 weeks ago. Offline

I'm one of the original developers of the Primavera Project Manager suite. I still do quite a bit of Primavera integration consulting, and I use VirtualBox all the time as a virtualization platform from which to do development testing (so that I can easily spin up new clones of different versions of the Primavera environment).  VirtualBox on my OSX box has worked flawlessly for me. It's free, so you can't beat the price, and gives me 100% compatibility with all of Primavera's features.

- Sebastian Schepis

Emily Foster
User offline. Last seen 1 year 47 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Guys,

Here's a link explaining the options to run Primavera P6 on a Mac i.e. using Boot Camp and Virtual Machines. It also shows a screen shot of a MacBook Pro running Primavera P6 R8.2 http://bit.ly/zIVM4X

I hope this helps,

Emily

David Blades
User offline. Last seen 10 years 18 weeks ago. Offline

I have in the past formatted the hard drive on a macbook pro and installed windows 7 on it only. P6 runs fine as you would expect.

Currently I use Parallels, very simple to set up. Install Parallels on the MacBook pro running OSX...... next install a copy of windows 7 and then P6. Great thing about Parallels is that it allows you to run in what they call 'coherence' mode, this allows you to launch P6 without rebooting into windows 7 straight from the mac environment.

Simply great!

D Artagnan
User offline. Last seen 2 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Mike,

I was also skeptical installing P6 on vista or even windows 7. I recently got my mac back, had it reformatted, installed leopard os and then installed windows 7 (bootcamp). Then installed P6.7 and sql server 2008 on win 7. All was a breeze. I am running Win 7 32 bit though. I can’t speak for 64 bit. My other laptop is in vista and it was also fine when I installed it there last year.

Now P6 is running just fine. Fingers crossed.

Artagnan
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hi Al;istair

Good luck indeed - you are going to need it.

Someone on PP recently spent 6 days trying to install P6 on Vista and had to get Windows 7 before it would work.

Best regards

Mike Testro
David Blades
User offline. Last seen 10 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
You have a couple of choices.... use bootcamp to install windows 7 on a partition on the hard drive or reformat the hard drive on the mac and install win 7 directly on the mac, but this way you will no longer have any mac operating system left on the mac.

I have done both and they work.
mimoune djouallah
User offline. Last seen 4 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
short answer no !

long answer yes, P6 is not supported under Mac os, so you have two choices

- install boot camp; install windows xp or 7.

- install a virtual package ( like virtual box, it is free) and install windows on it.

good luck
Alastair Bates
User offline. Last seen 14 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
thanks,

but you have lost me on that one... is the leopard OS the operating sytem of the Mac and you need to get either of the windows versions installed instead?

D Artagnan
User offline. Last seen 2 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
i am using a macbook pro, the answer to your question is yes and no.

No, you cannot install it in leopard OS.

Yes, you can run it in windows xp, vista and 7.