Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Calcualtion of duration for a Level of Effort activity

4 replies [Last post]
Richard Daoud
User offline. Last seen 11 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,
I created a Level of Effort (LOE) activity in a schedule containing almost 5000 activities with several calendar definitions. It has a a predecessor starting on Jan 1 (for example) with a SS relationship, and another predecessor ending on Jan 7 with a FF relationship. After running the schedule, I got for this LOE activity the following:
* ES = Jan 1
* EF = Jan 7
* Original Duration (OD) = 1 !!!!!
* Remaining Duration (RD) = 6
Moreover, by changing the calendar assigned to this LOE activity the RD changes however the OD remains 1 !

On another part, I created a test schedule containing just the above 3 activities then everything was going right, i.e. OD =6.

Can anyone help me in finding how to resolve the problem of the OD?

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Replies

Ilgar Akhunduv
User offline. Last seen 11 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

I had problem with rescheduling Child  work orders, there was Parent WO with 110 Child WOs after rescheduling them when you press F9 everything goes wrong way, is anyone faced the same problem using P6.

Richard Daoud
Hi Ian,
Thanks for your reply.
I got my prblem resolved even without marking the LOE as started.
In fact, the LOE that I wanted to create into my P6 schedule were originally in a MS Project schedule as normal task that have durations and relationships.
At the beginning I tried to import these tasks into P6 from MS Project (in order to save typing time), then I changed their type to LOE and built/modified their relationships but I faced the problem I described (OD=1 always).
Then I tried a differnt way: I exported these tasks to Excel and deleted all data except for the Activity ID and the Activity name, then I imported this Excel sheet into P6, and I made their type LOE and built the relationships. In this way everything was OK.
I think the tip is that when importing an LOE activity we should not import a duration for it.

Regards,
Richard
Ian Nicholson
User offline. Last seen 14 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Did you move the data date across the LOE so that the LOE got marked as started? The OD and RD should be the same for a not started activity (unless you have messed with the default settings). P6 has a "feature" that LOEs can get started automatically.
Richard Daoud
Please note that I am using P6.

Regards