Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Please Let me know if Im selecting all the correct func

4 replies [Last post]
Jose Ramirez
User offline. Last seen 11 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Okay guys I am trying to set-up a standard for Projects with Lump Sum Type Work where the budget is fixed:

Here is how I typically set up the Project, Resource, and Activity Windows (Please Let me know if I am selecting all the correct functions/buttons/boxes/etc) when I am doing Lump Sum Work. I am trying to make sure that all the proper items have been check/select/unckeck when I great a project and I reporting accurate data:

1st Project Window: General Tab

2nd Project Window: Fixed Duration & Units:

3rd Project Window: Drive Activity Date by Default:

4th Resource Window: Details Tab

5th Resource Window: Units & Price Tab

6th Activity Window: General Tab

activity general setting

7th Activity Window: Resource Tab (Drive Activity Date Select NO)

8th Schedule Options Settings:

Schedule Options Settings

9th The Default Resource Calendar:

Resource Calendar

10th The Default Work Calendar:

Work Calendar

11th The Resource Usage Profile:

Duration Type Table:

To maintain: Use this setting Notes
Budgets / Manhours / Work effort Fixed Units Most Lump Sum Projects with fixed budgets
Daily Resources / Units per time period (fixed crew size) Fixed Units / Time T/A type projects with budgets = duration x crew size
To maintain entered durations and: Use this setting Notes
Budgets / Manhours / Work effort Fixed Duration and Units Most Lump Sum Projects with fixed budgets
Daily Resources / Units per time period (fixed crew size) Fixed Duration and Units / Time T/A type projects with budgets = duration x crew size

Percent Complete Type Table:
Percent Complete Type Used with: Notes
Duration Percent Complete % complete based on RD, activity is duration driven, (overhead, General Conditions, Indirects, etc…) Easy to update but % complete not very accurate
Calculated as [(OD – RD)/OD]*100
Units % Complete Installed widget tracking, based on widgets to complete Very accurate % complete but requires tracking systems. Calculated as (Actual Units / At Completion Units) * 100
Physical % Complete Thumb wave, based on personal judgement or work product driven Manually entered, no calculation, no relationship to duration or budgets

Replies

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 days ago. Offline
José

You are right, and this in my opinion is very dangerous.

I never had a reason to make duration of resource assignments and activities independent. Maybe a programmer had an idea on cleaning after the end of an activity or another usage? No idea. Might be that Primavera people can explain.

Regards
Dieter
Jose Ramirez
Hello Dieter,

Yeah, I realized the error (1200h) after i copied the screen.

thank you for your advice on "Drive Activity by Default".

So, if this is unchecked the Activity Start/finish dates are not driven by the availability of the resource, but the activity start/finish dates will follow the activity calendar instead. Is this correct?

What scheduling scenarios would you need the Drive Activity Dates to be unchecked?
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 days ago. Offline
Hi José

In my opinion the settings seem ok.

I admire your capacities: 1200h of work a day! Great! But what are yor plans for the rest of your days?

But serious: To unmark "Drive activity days by default" is extremely dangerous because duration of activities and resource assignments then will be independent, even the time frame. There might be special situations where this is feasible but not as a standard setting.

Regards

Dieter
Jose Ramirez
Sorry I didn’t make this clear:

On 3rd Project Window: UNCHECK Drive Activity Date by Default:

On 4th Resource Window: Details Tab: UNCHECK Auto Compute Actuals

Here is how my Adm. Pref. Time Periods are set:

adm preferences