Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Duplicating a WBS in P6

7 replies [Last post]
Farzin Farsi
User offline. Last seen 3 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Hi there,
I am trying to duplicate a WBS (or set of activities) in one project. The problem is I’d like to have a different prefix for each set (different stations in the project) but exact the same number. And this needs to happen more than 30 times.

I wish there was an option in WBS area like whenever you are to paste a WBS it would ask for newly added activities prefix.

Anyone knows the fastest way to do so?

Thanks in advance

Replies

Farzin Farsi
Thanks Sean, I’d whenever get a chance. I’m still stuck to P6.2.
Sean Moghimi
User offline. Last seen 2 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Farzin,

In Primavera P6 V.7, new version that Oracle released 2 days ago, there is a new function to renumber the activities or change prefixes with variety of options. You may as well want to give it a try...

Cheers.
Farzin Farsi
Thanks Arnold,
That was a great help.

Cheers
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Farzin,

There is a workaround, try this:

Say for example: You want to copy AB1000, AB1010, AB1020...& etc...Then you want to become BA1000, BA1010, BA1020...& etc...

First, do the global change, where:

user_text1 = SubString(Activity ID,3,20)

Then the result is user_text1:
1000, 1010, 1020....& etc...

When done, perform the steps in Post #2.

After that, filter all the newly copied activities and run a global change again, but this time with combination parameters, Where:

Activity ID = LeftString(Activity ID,2) & user_text1

Let us know if you have done this.

Regards,

Arnold
Interesting that in Spider Project this function is standard.
We recomend this approach to activity coding of similar fragnets.
Best Regards,
Vladimir
Farzin Farsi
Thanks Arnold,
This changes both prefix, and number. what if I’d like to keep the number and only change the prefix?
PS: Because ID numbers do not obey any sort of steady increment I need to keep them in their order.
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Farzin,

Before copying the WBS go to --> Enterprise --> Project, highlight the current open project --> Project Details --> Defaults tab, Auto-numbering Defaults, in Activity ID Prefix change the value and untick the check box next to "Increment ID based on selected activity".

When done, go to Project --> WBS and copy the WBS including activities.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Arnold