Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Multiple Float path in P6

6 replies [Last post]
Joel Villanueva
User offline. Last seen 49 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi All,

Which Float should I use to calculate multiple float paths by Total Float or Free Float? Which of the two methods is better? Thanks.

Regards,
Joel

Replies

Khuong Do
User offline. Last seen 2 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I also wrote an article regarding use case of this function.

If you're interested, kindly read it here : https://doduykhuong.wordpress.com/2016/01/12/create-critical-path-for-any-activity/

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 9 hours 55 min ago. Offline
10-4
Joel Villanueva
Hi Rafael,

Thanks,this is a very informative site understanding logest path & slack calculation.

Regards,
Joel
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 9 hours 55 min ago. Offline
Whichever in P6 uses Longest Path and Open Ends as critical.

http://scheduleanalyzer.com/sa_long_theory.htm

Best regards
Rafael

Joel Villanueva
Thank you Arnold, as I understand from your reply, if I will to define my critical path as the longest path free float will be used and Total Float if Critical path is defines by Total Float. Please correct me if I’m wrong?

To All PP’s,

Can anyone please tell me which is the better method that gives better chances of identifying likely causes of delay?

Regards,
Joel
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Joel,

If you will use Total Float then this is used to identify critical paths based on the total float of activity relationships.

While Free Float is used to define critical float paths based on longest path.

It’s up to you which one you will apply.

Regards,

Arnold