Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Schedule Option : Calculate multiple float paths

5 replies [Last post]
Frederic Fasquelle
User offline. Last seen 1 year 9 weeks ago. Offline

Can anyone explain me what this schedule option is doing ?

2012-03-21_170143.jpg

Regards

Replies

Somanna Chengappa
User offline. Last seen 10 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I am having a problem with my schedule in calculate multiple float paths

The contractors schedule submitted to me has over 6000 activities this is my first month on this project and I am not very familiar with this schedule. For some reason whenever I try to run the schedule it gets stuck at 95% and then my computer crashes. I think the reason for this is use of multiple calendars and a lot of unnecessary relationships. The schedule in not very good it has random critical paths and the critical path is 80% different from the longest path. 

To get back to my problem, when I asked the contractors scheduler about the problem I have he said to uncheck the option of calculate the multiple float values and run the project I am not sure if it is good idea can anyone explain to me the impacts of this. 

Thanks again 

Regards
Some

Eray Engin
User offline. Last seen 4 years 43 weeks ago. Offline

Just one think you might need to be careful about using multiple float path;

When you have different calendars assigned to activities accross the project and , possibly you might also have different calendars assigned to activities in the same float path. In this case, if you choose a specific activity that your path to end on  and to calculate by Total Float then you might end up with a float path that does not even include your selected activity. The reason for this is, to put simply, that for total float calculation the schedule only chooses the highest critical activities and if you selected activity has a predecessor(s) that have less float of your selected activity, it does not select it.

In summary, to my experience it is always safer and better to use calculate by Free Float when having multiple float path.

Frederic Fasquelle

Thanks for your reply Jain,

If I understand well, by activating this option, P6 will calculate a certain numbers of CP.
Can you confirm that final result will appear in columns "Float path" & "Float path order" ? Or somewhere else ?

Is there any standard layout you used to show them ?

Regards

Deepak Jain
User offline. Last seen 11 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

Frederic,

This option allows you to plot multiple float paths for a schedule activity. You can then rank on basis of degree of criticality.

IMO, You should construct MCP manually and then use this feature to examine overall program criticality from a broader perspective

Cheers,

Frederic Fasquelle

bump