Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Filters not getting copied with Programs

11 replies [Last post]
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Guys,

I have created almost 25 filters for a program, but now when i copied the project, the filters are blank.

Am I missing some settings/options? OR Do I have to create those filters once again?

Urgent plz

Replies

David Craig
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

I know its probably a bit late but is it not possible to make the user defined filter Global, carry it accross in your copy of the project, then copy and paste it back into the user defined section of the filters? This would prevent a huge build up of filters that arent applicable to different projects.

Regards,

David

R. Catalan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Ravi,

I don’t know if got this already:

The User field is available only if the selected Available to category is Another User.

Applied filters are saved with the layout.

Applied User Defined filters become available as Global filters when a layout is saved to All Users.

Project layouts are associated and available with the project. Save layouts as project layouts when you would like to limit the number of layouts in the global section or allow the layout to be exported with the project.

Regards,
A D
Its not working arnold,

I hav saved a layout for project, but still filters are not getting copied. Am I doing something wrong or is there any further settings.

I hav gong thro P6 manual as well as thro Paul harris book, but there is no reference given for "COPY of FILTERS" along with projects.

What am I missing?

A D
Thanks Arny for the suggestion,

U r a gem

But, what if the layouts, are saved as User and NOT as project?

I will give a try by saving it as Project, meanwhile do u know any shortcuts to convert those 25 odd user layouts into project layouts?

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Rav,

Filters are part of layout. The best way to do is to "Save As" the layout as available to "Project".

Now, everytime you will copy the Project and paste it in the same or different node the filters are also available.

Just try this.

HTH.

Arnold
A D
Hi Carmen,

"Solution: I have been told by expert here. Define the filter and checked "filter name" at bar setting."

Will u plz elaborate, further on this.

Cheers,

Rav
Neils Gao
User offline. Last seen 8 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
all,
I think this issue is due to the codes definition,
We all know the codes structrue has 3 levels, Global/EPS/Project
and if the codes you assigned to the activities is project level,
when you get another copy of the project, filter attached to the layout will be null,
in another word, if the codes you used in a filter is a global codes, wherever you copy, the filter will work ever.
Otherwise, I think the first step to resolve this problem is to check the codes definition, is it a project level or a global?
Carmen Arape
User offline. Last seen 6 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Rav,

I am experimenting the same with my filters after I have made a copy.

FIRST: The copy of a project was done from one EPS node to another EPS node. Are you copying projects in the same EPS node ???

I am copying project from and to different node with following results:

- The name of the filter is copied without content.
- Layouts are copied and linked to the filters.
- Bar setting is copied but filters linked to bars are missed

Solution: I have been told by expert here. Define the filter and checked "filter name" at bar setting.

Cheers,
Ferdinand Fincale...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Rav,

That is something strange in your program. Mine is working fine with no blank filters after copying. Sorry for I can’t give further advice as I find no other alternative after going through all the program settings. For the meantime, you may manually do settings of filters to get around along with the global option.

I hope experts in here may share their ideas so I may learn as well.

Cheers!
A D
Thanks a ton ferdinand,

filter does get copy from user defined, but they are blank.

i can make filters global, but there are total twelve different phases/programs and if each phase/program copies 25 filters into global filter, then it will be a huge list and eventually make the system slow.

i cant understand why they are blank??

Please help me out from this crisis.

(Even i have tried to copy it as layout, but even in layout, filters are blank)

Cheers,

Rav
Ferdinand Fincale...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Raviraj,

I’ve had some exercise figuring out for the solution to your query, but it seems there is nothing wrong with my program as it works fine copying all the details including the filters.

If that problem of yours persist, I suggest for you to go back to the original program and make your filters there to be global (make global). There is no doubt then that you won’t have it in the copied program or even in other programs.

Just trying to help.

Ferdinand