Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 really needs a way to limit relationship lines. Seems like it is a spaghetti mess or northing...or filter items to get.

5 replies [Last post]
John Reeves
User offline. Last seen 1 week 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

P6 really needs a way to limit relationship lines.  Seems like it is a spaghetti mess or northing...or filter items to get.  Or am I wrong?  Is there a way?  What is frustrating is that P3 and Suretrak could do many of things 20 years ago that P6 still cannot.  Too much time chasing the IT market and not enough simplification and graphical improvements for the AEC market that put them on the map.

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 20 hours 52 min ago. Offline

Looking at the link lines in complex projects is kind of useless, there are other views such as a links table showing al link parameter properties but it does not comes within P6. 

Logic League by Ron Winter Consulting LLC.

Usually it is good enough to show a layout showing predecessor/successor columns as P6 links options are limited to a few parameters.

Primavera P6 Professional New Column Type

spaghetti-children-16766611

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Since Primavera (in all its manifestations!) still can't do basic CPM calculation (i.e., it still cannot compute critical path drag, THE critical metric for schedule analysis and compression!), a functionality that both Spider Project and Asta Powerproject provide to their users, it's hard to imagine that its users WON'T soon go to a better system!

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline

Granted P6 (or rather the P3e product that Primavera orginally bought) is not P3, so it will never be the same, Oracle have been woeful at listening to what users want and implementing them. I don't think you'll see anything actually useful changed in P6 any further as they want us all to move to Oracle Primavera Cloud. I think it's just as likely we'll just walk to other solutions providers instead.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

agree 100% basically you have to make the logic but cant see it it gets too messy

same here David Kelly I have sure track on my computer since it can use 64 bytes and P3 on a backup laptop 

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hmm, I count 30 rather than 20, John. I still have an XP laptop with Suretrak on it, in case I need a proper time-scaled network diagram,or indeed a diagram that people can follow.