Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Copying schedules in P6 -same EPS node

12 replies [Last post]
Carmen Arape
User offline. Last seen 6 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hi PP,

When I make a copy of a schedule in the same EPS node, I loose all my filters, group and sort definition . Loosing these, the layouts do not work. Is that possible ???

May be am I doing something wrong ???

Cheers,

Replies

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Peter
In general layouts are created for reporting. In the printouts in general you have to add project id, customer’s name and/or logo. As printout is part of a layout in these cases you’ll need a project specific layout anyhow.
Filters: You have general codes which are valid for each project - e.g. phases - and others which may be project specific. A big advantage of P6 is to have those global settings and by this global layouts and reports. Of course this doesn’t work in any case.

Regards
Dieter
Peter Nicol
User offline. Last seen 14 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: None
So I am right - global / user layouts don’t work across projects for anything project specific.

I hope this helps.

regards,
Peter.
Dieter Wambach
Pete
Yes they are.
Regards
Dieter
Peter Nicol
The only this might work is if the layout is saved to the project (thats a new option in P6 - never tested it though yet).

Let me guess Dieter.... you save your layouts at a project level ?

- Pete.
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
This is how it works on some and doesn’t work on my, carmen or on pete’s computer and may not be working on few more peoples computer.

Thing is, there is no setting mentioned anywhere for copying of filters.
Dieter Wambach
Carmen, Peter, Ravi
I just tested with my pc: Everything is ok - project activity codes and layouts with filters are copied.
The filter I "Mark(ed) as Layout", during paste I marked activity codes.

Regards
Dieter
Peter Nicol
Hi Raviraj,

I have the same issue when i copy a project myself. This also impacts Reports - anything that uses filters doesn’t work anymore.

I think "Primavera" have tied the project codes to the project ID which means that every copy of the original is treated as a new project in the P6 system (different ID). this means quite simply that the project activity codes are different for each project no matter that they contain the same activity codes. This is why i use EPS level codes for the situation where I have multiple interconnected schedules for the 1 project. (only use global for the general company activity codes - such as discipline, EPC, trade codes etc..)

As I stated it’s a feature of P6 (this was different in P5) Of interest, if you think about it, this makes more sense for EPS level codes (but they do bring other issues themselves - in particular importing / exporting when using EPS codes :P ) Why have EPS codes if you can project level codes to do the same thing ?

- jajang
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Hi pete,

i was having similar problem, and i hav asked in another thread but to of no use.

even, in my case filters are not getting copied with the program? But, on my consultants computer (stand alone) filters does get copied along with the program.

There must be some settings which me and carmen are missing.... and its not written anywhere, neither in P6 manual nor in paul harris book (also i had gone thro pm.ini file, but there is no setting for copy of filters)

Do u hav any clue, wat v r missing?

Help plz

Rav
Peter Nicol
They are.. but remember filters, groupings within layouts aren’t saved with the project - they are seperate - you can open any project in any layout (that you have rights to open). This means when you copy a project primavera treats this as a completely new project. so any layouts referring to the original’s project activity codes etc will not work even if they are the same name. (Yet another "Feature" :P) Of course EPS level & Global level codes aren’t impacted by this.

- Pete.
Ali Farhat
User offline. Last seen 13 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
I assume project codes are copied too!
Neils Gao
User offline. Last seen 8 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
take a look at your group and sort, is it the project level codes used.
Ali Farhat
User offline. Last seen 13 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
I think you are doing something wrong...
i tried it and i still have all the layouts with the filters and group&sort def..