Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

XER File Parser

37 replies [Last post]
Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Does anyone know where to get hold of the XER file parser?

Replies

mimoune djouallah
User offline. Last seen 4 years 40 weeks ago. Offline

This version is working for me in Office 2010, whereas the current version of the XER Reader 0.79.6 does not seem to be working properly.

what kind of error do you get, the XER reader was just a hobby project done, three years ago, and to be honest VBA is a mess with all this diferent combination of Windows/Excel

Emad Mofarej,PMP,...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

deleted!

Steven Auld
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 12 hours ago. Offline

Aegis Project Controls have an updated version of the XER Parser available on their website available for free:

http://www.consultaegis.com/software/

If you click on the Free Utilities link then it can be downloaded from there (XER Parser 2.0).

This version is working for me in Office 2010, whereas the current version of the XER Reader 0.79.6 does not seem to be working properly.

Please note that I have no association with Aegis Project Controls.

Regards,

Steven

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

thank you kindly 

Emad Mofarej,PMP,...

Zoltan,

You can find the modified XER parser in the link below:

https://ufile.io/h8x4v

Thanks Emad,

Zoltan Palffy

sure send it to me I can test it 

Emad Mofarej,PMP,...

Zoltan,

I never have the opportunity to test it in the older versions or X32 versions. There is no improvement other than the compablity to the X64 windows and latest office. But it would be nice if you try it and see if it works on X32 as well. 

The whole XER file parser code is simple and except one part it does not rely on an outdated control. So what I did was replacing the outdated control to a newer one to be able to use it on x64 and excel 2016 machines.

By the way there are other controls in excel as well so if this is not compatible with 32 bit office and you are interested we can work together and try other controls to find a common ground!

Zoltan Palffy

ok so strictly a 64 bit version ?

Emad Mofarej,PMP,...

Tom,

Sorry for the late response.

You can find the modified XER parser in the link below:

https://ufile.io/h8x4vThanks Emad,

I think you should be able to use this file even with your 32 bit office. If you can't use this and there is some sort of error there are plenty other controls that can be used instead. I don't have a 32 bit excel but I can work with anyone interested to help me to find a control that works in every version of windows/excel.

About the oracle pushing away from xer based on the current progress it is safe to assume that there will be no huge migration from xer to xml at least in the next couple of years. I know there is no xer import function in EPPM or Primavera API but for P6 I can't imagine people get excited to jump into XML wagon just because it can also transfer the baseline and layouts. 

And besides that by then we can come up with the modified code that works with the XML as well.

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Not actively, just waiting for feedback from a colleague who first asked me for help on it a couple years ago.  He's busy running planning and scheduling for a national civil contractor, so our communications are "leisurely."  All we're talking about is porting the existing base file from 32-bit to 64-bit Office and getting it to build a new xer file after modifications - something I never do.  Since you're running 32-bit office, the existing version should run fine for you already.

Zoltan Palffy

Tom

so you are still working on it ?

Tom Boyle

Sure, when available....

Zoltan Palffy

Tom

Can you send me the modified parser I am working an a 32 bit office environment

thanks

Zoltan 

Tom Boyle

Thanks Emad,

With Oracle actively pushing the world towards xml and away from xer, re-writing and optimizing the parserbuilder is kind of a non-starter for me.  I'm only interested in getting it patched up so that it works - however inefficiently - for my colleagues (and eventually myself) working in 64-bit Office.  I've got a modified bit being tested by a colleague (in 64-bit office) now.

As far as I know, the parserbuilder (xerFileParserBuilder_2007.xlsm) is in the public domain.  The oldest download I currently have (don't know where from) has no branding of any kind (i.e. no "Primavera", no "Oracle"), no author, no copyright notice or usage restrictions.  It's essentially anonymous.  In any case, Oracle had nothing to do with its creation.  Anything you want to share is welcome!  Email is old school.  Share a public link instead.

Emad Mofarej,PMP,...

Tom,

The reason I mentioned the XER reader is to give you an example of how code should've been written. You can modify your XER parser /builder VBA code to read XER data the way the XER reader reads data. 

I did it myself but unfortunately I can't share it as my XER parser builder is change alot and it does so many other things and I'm not sure that I can share those without my employers consent as I built it for their project and they are the ones who paid for my time. 

I'll try to modify the XER builder from scratch and just replace the import function and controls for everyone. I'm still not sure how copyright plays in these situation and if it's ok to modify Oracle code and publish it!

The script change that I sent to you should work on older versions or 32 bit version. I can send you XER parser with the new control code if you send me your email.

Tom Boyle

Emad,

I receive a lot of xer files prepared by others.  My modifications to the parser just add a bunch of range names and formulas to the TASK, TASKPRED, and TASKRSRC tables.  Since I clean the POBS table ahead of time, the parser imports rarely take more than a minute or two (projects >2000 activities are rare.)  For my purposes, XER Reader does look much improved over the parser.  Obviously, it doesn't help my friends who need to modify and re-build xer files.

Zoltan,

Emad's code replaces the CommonDialog form control - which the parser uses to browse the folder tree during the Load and Build processes - with a much simpler control.  CommonDialog only works in a 32-bit MS Office environment (Windows bitness doesn't matter). Unfortunately the simpler code doesn't work on my machines, while CommonDialog works fine.  It would be great if this simple change solved everything for all systems.

Rgds, tmb

Zoltan Palffy

Tom

what does this code do  ?

Emad Mofarej,PMP,...

Tom,

I'm Glad that you liked the idea. 

Although I should restate the obvious that the import method that Primavera used to import data from XER file is fairly outdated and unbearably slow as well.

I don't know for what purpose you modified your parser. I use it for several purposes such as simply investigate XER corruption, or manually add or remove records (activities, wbs, relationships resources) as I don't have premission to use excel import function (who in enterprise enviroment does?!), or my custom code for analysing schedule (mainly the redundant relationships)

But you are looking to improve your code you can use Excel import query table function which is way way faster than reading each line from txt file and compiling it character by character.

I was used to spend 10 minutes for heavy schedule with resources and codes to import from XER to excel and now it is only 2-3 seconds.

If you are looking for sample you can search for XER-READER excel file. I beleive the latest version is 0.79.6

Unfortunately the XER parser for someone like me is the only workaround as in enterprise enviroment having a excel import, SDK, Direct Database SQL access or Integrated API accessablity is out of question! which is pretty sad. It feels barbaric to deal with raw data and end up importing and exporting schedules to do simple things. It is way better than manually changing huge amount of records in the schedule in P6 though!

Tom Boyle

Emad,

I know you were addressing Amir and not me, but thanks anyway for this little snippet, which I'll be eager to incorporate in my own code when I actually need it.  (I'm still on Windows 7 x64, Office x32, and I've heavily modified xerfileparserbuilder already for my own purposes in that environment).  

---------------------------------------------------

3- On the right hand pane (Project explorer) locate "frmPrompt" under Forms and open it. to open the import form

4- Double click on the "Browse..." button to open "Brows button click" event code. 

The event code starts with Private Sub cmdBrowse_Click()

and ends with End sub

5- All you need to do is to replace the event code with this code:

Private Sub cmdBrowse_Click()

Dim fDialog As Variant

FDialog=Appication.GetSaveAsFilename(FileFilter:="Primavera PM XER, *.xer")

If fDialog <> False then

Cells (2,1)=fDialog

txtXerFile.Text=fDialog

Else

txtXerFile.Text=""

End If

End Sub

Emad Mofarej,PMP,...

Amir,

There is an easy work around for Parser/Builder that does not involve downgrade or changing your excel or windows.

The only problem with XERParser/Builder is that it uses outdated CommonDialouge control for selecting files. To fix it one can use diffrent controls like fdialouge. 

You can fix the code  by following these steps:

1- Open the XER file parser/Builder in excel

2- Hit Alt-F11 to open Microsoft visual basic for application window

3- On the right hand pane (Project explorer) locate "frmPrompt" under Forms and open it. to open the import form

4- Double click on the "Browse..." button to open "Brows button click" event code. 

The event code starts with Private Sub cmdBrowse_Click()

and ends with End sub

5- All you need to do is to replace the event code with this code:

Private Sub cmdBrowse_Click()

Dim fDialog As Variant

FDialog=Appication.GetSaveAsFilename(FileFilter:="Primavera PM XER, *.xer")

If fDialog <> False then

Cells (2,1)=fDialog

txtXerFile.Text=fDialog

Else

txtXerFile.Text=""

End If

End Sub

5- you are done. Hit save and use this file instead. You can also share the modified file with your coleauges as there is no need to follow the same procedure again.
Tom Boyle

Amir,

The parser builder (an Excel macro) uses some features that don't work on 64-bit MS-Office.  If your IT group was foolish enough to install it (64-bit MS-Office) on your machine despite Microsoft's own advice against it, then blame them.  Even with 32-bit Office, this error has been associated with changes in Windows (mostly security patches) since 2007.  The common workaround is to use a separate machine (older, unpatched, 32-bit Office-installed) for this purpose. 

As useful as it is - xerfileparserbuilder.xlsx is a relic of pre-Oracle days.  There has been no official support for years.

Zoltan Palffy

here is the link to the parser

https://www.planacademy.com/using-primaveras-xer-file-parser-import-wbs-...

the file parser can do may things it basically extracts info out of an xer and puts in in excel format 

Amir Parsa
User offline. Last seen 6 years 32 weeks ago. Offline

Hi dears

i have a question

i want do this file : xerFileParserBuilder_2007 , in my lap top , i have windows 10 64bit in may lap top, so i can not run xerFileParserBuilder_2007 file, what can i do my friend? when i run this file, show this masage :  Could not load an object because it is not available on this machine.

warren sika
User offline. Last seen 4 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar

What is this Parser for?

mimoune djouallah
User offline. Last seen 4 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
WAEL ELHAJJ
User offline. Last seen 1 year 17 weeks ago. Offline

dear sir,

can you please forward this XER file Parser to my email waelelhajj@hotmail.com

your assistance in this regards is highly cherished

DANG CORP
User offline. Last seen 8 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
i understand what u mean.
confidentially info etc...

but its good to find the root of the issue
so u never have to do this parsing thing again

cuase i heard it many times.

the p3e export/importer shuold be smart enuff to do these orphan thing for u.

---
Vu Dang
Oliver Melling
I now have the parser.

Vu, sometimes it is not possible to send your XER to Primavera.
DANG CORP
User offline. Last seen 8 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
hi friends,

if ur XER is having issue importing,

send it back to P3e, so that they can fix the bugs

so that next time, u dont need to parse and clean it up urself.

cause if u export XER and cant import it,,, then it a BUG,
dont need to waste ur time in fixing it.

Vu Dang
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Others have tried and failed. They were seduced by the power of the gantt and tried to use it in battle. Alas, the gantt is cunning and is seeking its Master Logic. Those who wield the gantt will eventually be abandoned by it later.
Oliver Melling
I have never heard of such dark alchemy, but i’ll give it a try.

Then i will take the gantt to Mordor and destroy it.
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
At the risk of helping others delete poor little Dwarves that never did anyone any harm, let me just say that an XER file is already correctly parsed as comma-delineated tables. Just change the name of the file extension from XER to TXT and then just open normally using Excel. Once done with whatever nefarious scheme you may be plotting against the Dwarves, just save the file as a TXT file again and then change the file extension back to XER. Good luck (Dwarves!)
Oliver Melling
or is it dwarves?.......anyway they serve no purpose.

So they must be deleted. Mwahaha.
James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline
/me cries for the deleted orphan dwarfs
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Sounds like it is coated in sugar.

I’d like one too please.

Andy
Oliver Melling
I’not sure if i spelt it right?

But it is an excel sheet with fancy macros that lets you upload XER files.

You can use it to open XER in excel, then if you have orphaned dwarfs you can delete them to allow you to import the XER.

The parser just splits the XER into the tables that exist in the database.

I did have a copy at my last company but i’ve lost it in the move!
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Excuse Mr. Ignorant and silly here but what is this Parser you speak of and is it coated in sugar??

If it is I want one too.

Seriously - what is it?

Andy