Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P5 Summary Bar

8 replies [Last post]
Armando Moriles
User offline. Last seen 16 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

Can anyone help?

In P5 Summary Bar using WBS at Group and Sort, it would show me always all the summary bars for all levels which I find it confusing already. I want to show only the summary bar for the first level. Is it possible?

Thanks,

Replies

Patricia Le Clainche
User offline. Last seen 9 years 24 weeks ago. Offline

Hello Andrew,

Do not worry. I will try to give more details next time.
Kindest regards.
Patricia
Armando Moriles
Andrew,

Thanks for the clarification,now i got it...Patricia, sorry I failed to understand clearly your instruction...

Thanks,

Arman
Andrew Podolny
User offline. Last seen 41 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Armando.

Patricia was right - if you want to show summary hammock only for certain WBS level - the only way you can do it in P5 is to insert WBS Summary Type activities (in your case under the WBS Level 1), disable Summary Bar in Bars menu in P5 and set custom Bar pattern for WBS Summary Type activities.

Regards,
Andrew
Armando Moriles
Patricia, Amir,

Thanks a lot...I just submitted a 5 level wbs programme today. I really did not like the way the summary bars looks because each group has 5 summary bars. I tried using activity codes but the result was semilar to 3.1. Using User Defined Fields is ok. The only problem was that it was alphabitically sorted and the only way to get my sorting is to assign number prefix which I find it not good as well...I tried msproject, it was ok because I could actually graphically interface at the bars itself including summary. But I still find the overall presentation of P5 better than msproject.

Regards,

Arman
Amir Dadbakhsh
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
hi
I think it is better to use "activity code". even you can do it by using Global Change.
Patricia Le Clainche
OK, I see. I know this problem.

A trick you can use, is to use WBS Summary Type Tasks, and to use some filters, using probably user_text fields.

Kindest regards.
Patricia
Armando Moriles
Patricia,

Right, I have...But the problem if I’ll specify only level 2 or 3, I’m losing the rest of my groupings thus mixing all the informations from levels 4 and below. The reason why I want to view only the summary bar for level 1 because their are just so much summary bars. Maybe you know some other tricks to control the views of summary bars but full views of the wbs.

Thanks,

Arman
Patricia Le Clainche
Hello Armando,

What do you have selected as Group and Sort options ? Do you have "WBS" at "All" in Level Column ? You should be able to change from "All" to the required level you want.

Good luck.
Patricia