Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Calendar by défault and specific calendar

6 replies [Last post]
Patricia Le Clainche
User offline. Last seen 9 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

What happens if you use 2 different calendars in one project ; I mean :

=> In general, there is one Calendar which is put by default on each activity you create.
=> You can choose another calendar (with specific days Off, or vacations for example) for some activities.

In that case, what happens with Remaining Duration on the WBS Element ? It seems the remaining Duration is calculated with the Calendar by Default. Is it possible to change it for one or a few WBS elements of the project ?
I have not any "Calendar Column" in WBS view.

Hope to read you soon,
Regards.

Replies

Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Another point may help.

If you link two activity together, by default, the link will base on the predecessor calendar, however, you can change it by changing the schedule option to use to successor calendar.

Alex
Andrew Podolny
User offline. Last seen 40 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Yes indeed all summary WBS durations are based on default calendar. However you can create your own task under the WBS you want to be calculated by different calendar and set it to WBS Summary activity type then assign the Calendar you like. No predecessors/successors needed.
Cheers
Andrew
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 13 hours 37 min ago. Offline
Patricia,

Sorry, I don’t quite get your query. Can you explain it more details so I can absorb the problem.

Note:
WBS summary inherit the duration from the WBS element or any activities/ task under your WBS summary. What ever calendar you used for those activities under WBS summary the start and finish date should be the earliest start of the task and latest early finish date of the task.

Regards,
Rodel
Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline
I generally don’t rely on the values indicated in the WBS summary groups for anything other than start and finish dates, as some rather interesting results are shown for Float/%/duration..
Patricia Le Clainche
User offline. Last seen 9 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Rodel,

OK to change of calendar at Project lavel.

But, my troubles are in the fact there could be, in ine single project one specific calendar for one or a few WBS elements, and the default calendar for the other ones. In that case, the calculated Remaining Duration at WBS element level is wrong if you compare with the remaining duration of the activities.

Regards.
Patricia
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 13 hours 37 min ago. Offline
Patricia,

You can use and define as many calendars you want in a project but you need to assign it in to your activities. All those activities without any calendar assign it will use the default calendar. You can assign a default calendar in a project module.

Select Enterprise-> Projects then select the default tab and select a calendar to use as default in calendar box.

Hope this help.

Rodel